Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of OSI...

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9 5:33 AM
      Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!

      For anyone else interested in a paper copy of that work, it's available for a few dollars on Amazon.com (just picked one up for $2.61)

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:18:06 -0400
      "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

      > Systems Glitch wrote:
      >
      > > I'm in the process of deciphering the OSI 48-line bus
      > > structure at the moment, so that I may build an extra
      > > memory board for my OSI Challenger III and get it booting
      > > into CP/M. If anyone has any sort of documentation on the
      > > structure of the bus (memory R/W qualification timings, etc.)
      > > that would be very helpful.
      >
      > I would suggest taking a look at "The S-100 And Other Micro Buses"
      > by Poe and Goodwin. They have a pretty good basic description of
      > the OSI bus. There is a mostly readable pdf scan of it here:
      >
      > http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/Unclassified/S-100_and_Other_Micro_Buses.PDF
      >
      > Bill Sudbrink

      Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...>
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9 5:42 AM
        Systems Glitch wrote:

        > Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!

        No prob.

        > For anyone else interested in a paper copy of that
        > work, it's available for a few dollars on Amazon.com
        > (just picked one up for $2.61)

        Yes, having a paper copy is more useful in my opinion.
        I have two. It amazes me, every now and then, you will
        see one go on ebay for 40 to 50 bucks. But the ones on
        Amazon have been there for a couple of years. The same
        for "The S-100 Handbook".

        Bill
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9 5:47 AM
          On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:42:42 -0400
          "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

          > Yes, having a paper copy is more useful in my opinion.
          > I have two. It amazes me, every now and then, you will
          > see one go on ebay for 40 to 50 bucks. But the ones on
          > Amazon have been there for a couple of years. The same
          > for "The S-100 Handbook".
          >
          > Bill

          Same here...when I started repairing my Cromemco Z-2D I went to buy "The S-100 Handbook" and noticed it going for $25-35 at that time (it /was/ over Christmas break). Amazon had a copy with a crease in the cover for under $10. I guess people don't look around when they buy things...like the sellers with electronics components listed at higher prices than Mouser/DigiKey!

          Thanks,

          Jonathan