Re: Historical Computer Society

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010

      > Good luck with this.
      >
      > Friendly suggestion: give some geographic info in the group's name. How about HACS -- Historic Atlanta Computer Society?
      >
      > If you just call it "the" Historic Computer Society, you'll get all sorts of people who don't understand your regional focus.

      Thanks Evan, I do appreciate the advice. Ironically, Stan Veit gave me the same advice back in 1993, in his letter when he joined. You can see a scan of that letter in my blog article. I don't remember why I didn't change the name, but probably because I had already began posting it around, etc. I like it, though it's not the perfect name. "Computer Historical Society" might even be more grammatically correct - ?

      At this point, the name itself has some history behind it – almost 18 years, so that's mainly why I'm using it. I don't think the group will focus on our region especially, as I just happen to live in this area now. Once it gets up and running, and has a governing board, they can decide if they want to change it.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010
        So.. I decided to make a blog.

        My reason is to accumulate vintage computer news and announcements.

        http://8bitaficionado.com/

        One of the things I see a lot of heat about on here and on Classiccmp is posting of Craigslist/ebay stuff. So I will be posting those on the blog.

        Please feel free to give opinions.

        Thanks

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

          So.. I decided to make a blog.

          My reason is to accumulate vintage computer news and announcements.

          http://8bitaficionado.com/

          Please feel free to give opinions.

          but they're not all 8bitters  -hah (TI, Amiga,Atari ST)
          <duck 'n runs away>

          congrats,
          =Dan

        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010
            --- On Wed, 9/8/10, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            but they're not all 8bitters  -hah (TI, Amiga,Atari ST)
            <duck 'n runs away>

            I thought of Old Bit, but it didn't make sense to me..

            Eh.. I kinda got tired of posting things only to get someone complaining. So now I have my own site and I can post what I want.

            I am looking to do something like "My Classic Car" where people send photos and a little blurb about their computer. I want to call it like My old computer or something. I think that would be cool. People are proud of what they have and I want them to be able to show it off.

            Also I am looking for old photos of people with their early computers, I think that would be cool too.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010
              On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:

              > Also I am looking for old photos of people with their early computers, I
              > think that would be cool too.

              Do you period pictures, or recent pictures with old hardware?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8, 2010
                --- On Wed, 9/8/10, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                Do you period pictures, or recent pictures with old hardware?

                Both.. Why?

                I like having people show off the computers they have now. You see me take a lot of photos at VCF because people are proud to show off the machine. I feel that pride.

                I really would like older photos of when we used these machines in their prime.. I have been digging through my mom's photos looking for pictures of me with my C64.
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2010
                  Chris,

                  Your blog is great! I just subscribed to the RSS feed so I can keep up. No matter which way you take this, it's good for the hobby.

                  My only criticism is the graphic at the top of the page. On my netbook, that graphic is all that is visible when the page loads. I think you could get the same effect using half that much vertical screen real estate so at least your top headline is visible.

                  Jim