Maker Faire updates

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
      Hi all --

      September 17 is the deadline when I must inform the Maker Faire
      management about our free-pass list.

      So far the list includes:
      - myself
      - Sridhar
      - Dan
      - Jeff J.
      - Chris

      I have to add Jeff B. ...... is there anyone else who intends to help at
      the MARCH booth either day?

      Anyone who volunteers after business hours on Sep. 17 will NOT get a
      free pass.
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
        > Hi all --
        >
        > September 17 is the deadline when I must inform the Maker Faire
        > management about our free-pass list.

        Oops, I clicked "send" too fast.

        The other update: Chris and I attended a Maker Faire mixer tonight in
        Greenwich Village. It was a FANTASTIC event, and it bodes well for the
        main event in a few weeks. The room was packed with dozens of people,
        mostly under age 40, equal amounts of men and women, who all support
        technology and the "maker" ethic. Everyone we met tonight was very
        impressed by what MARCH does, and several people expressed interest in
        working with MARCH/InfoAge in various ways. I have a lot of
        following-up to do tomorrow.
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
          Go ahead and count me in too. I'll bring my 8085 project, and possibly some of the S-100 boards I've been working on. Will a working S-100 system be there, or do I need to bring a backplane/power supply as well? Also, does someone have a +5 V regulated supply they can bring, to avoid lugging my Lambda supply along?

          I'm going to see if I can't lash up a display board using some of the 5x7 char displays I have, and have it scroll a message about MARCH or something. That will at least show the 8085 board can do more than blink a LED!

          What are the dates/times the shared hotel room is available? I can ride Megabus from Albany down and back for $30 if I can leave first thing Monday morning. If I've got to leave Sunday evening it'll cost $44, so it's not a dealbreaker.

          What's it looking like we'll be paying on the hotel split? I need to start setting aside cash for it.

          Thanks,

          Jonathan

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
            Okay, you're on the list.

            I plan to bring MARCH's Altair, but we should save that for general demos, explanations of the kit era, etc. .... so bringing another system is smart.

            8085 + display board sounds fun!

            We're only staying over Sat. night. So far there are six people -- Dan and I, who have spoke first and thus get the beds, plus: Sridhar, Jeff J., Jeff B., and you. (Chris offered to chip and party with us that night, but he already lives in NYC and therefore isn't bothering to stay over.)

            The room is 130-something + tax = 150, divided six ways = $25 each. Hotel has free parking, wifi, continental breakfast.

            >>> Go ahead and count me in too. I'll bring my 8085 project, and possibly some of the S-100 boards I've been working on. Will a working S-100 system be there, or do I need to bring a backplane/power supply as well? Also, does someone have a +5 V regulated supply they can bring, to avoid lugging my Lambda supply along?

            I'm going to see if I can't lash up a display board using some of the 5x7 char displays I have, and have it scroll a message about MARCH or something. That will at least show the 8085 board can do more than blink a LED!

            What are the dates/times the shared hotel room is available? I can ride Megabus from Albany down and back for $30 if I can leave first thing Monday morning. If I've got to leave Sunday evening it'll cost $44, so it's not a dealbreaker.

            What's it looking like we'll be paying on the hotel split? I need to start setting aside cash for it.

            Thanks,

            Jonathan
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                My dad went to Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, N.Y. too.

                Bill Degnan

                  My dad went to  Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, N.Y. too.

                  Bill Degnan

                  Really ?!  What a small world !
                  What year did he graduate ?

                  On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                  looks like I was interrupted again and I hit the send button to soon :)

                  What I wanted to ask was,
                  Since I can't expect the Twitter App will be updated soon by the original programmer in time for this event - due to the extra work involved to support their new security protocol I mentioned in the other post.

                  Should I still exhibit the Networking on the C64 ?
                  I still have the remaining software apps, webbrowser, irc, telnet, etc, and in general I can focus more on networking and TCPIP as a whole.

                  =Dan

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010

                    > > My dad went to Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, N.Y. too.
                    > >
                    > > Bill Degnan
                    > >

                    > Really ?! What a small world !
                    > What year did he graduate ?

                    1958 I think
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                      On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                      Okay, you're on the list.

                      I plan to bring MARCH's Altair, but we should save that for general demos, explanations of the kit era,

                      Does this Altair have a serial card installed yet to connect a terminal ?

                      =Dan
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                        Dan,
                        It has the CUTTER set up installed. If you bring a terminal you can get
                        the > prompt.

                        I had some notes on how to hook it up, but it should be pretty straight
                        forward. You can then use the serial connection to inject CUTTER centric
                        machine code programs into it.

                        Bill Degnan

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                          >>> My dad went to  Sewanhaka High School, Floral Park, N.Y. too.

                          Please move this off-list.
                        • Systems Glitch
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                            If not, we can use all/part of my boardset with it, which includes a Cromemco 4FDC floppy/console card. The ROM monitor is very handy, though I'm not sure if that's what you want with the front panel display.

                            If someone has data they want to run on ROMs, one of the S-100 boards I'm bringing is a RAM/ROM board using 8K devices (2764 or 27128 ROMs, though it will only use the first 8K of the 27128). I can burn the ROMs as well. It's hand built, being a prototype, and is mostly wire wrapped, so it'll fit both the kit and maker themes.

                            Jonathan

                            On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:28:40 -0400
                            Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                            > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Okay, you're on the list.
                            > >
                            > > I plan to bring MARCH's Altair, but we should save that for general demos,
                            > > explanations of the kit era,
                            > >

                            > Does this Altair have a serial card installed yet to connect a terminal ?
                            >
                            > =Dan
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                              On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                              Dan,
                              It has the CUTTER set up installed.  If you bring a terminal you can get
                              the > prompt.

                              I had some notes on how to hook it up, but it should be pretty straight
                              forward.  You can then use the serial connection to inject CUTTER centric
                              machine code programs into it.

                              hmm, I knew I should've burned a set of Roms for Altair BASIC beforehand.

                              I already have my other set of BASIC Roms on a card which I can install there and run some programs for everyone to see.

                              I can try to burn a set of Altair Roms as an alternate too

                              =Dan

                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
                                If not, we can use all/part of my boardset with it, which includes a Cromemco 4FDC floppy/console card. The ROM monitor is very handy, though I'm not sure if that's what you want with the front panel display.

                                If someone has data they want to run on ROMs, one of the S-100 boards I'm bringing is a RAM/ROM board using 8K devices (2764 or 27128 ROMs, though it will only use the first 8K of the 27128). I can burn the ROMs as well. It's hand built, being a prototype, and is mostly wire wrapped, so it'll fit both the kit and maker themes.

                                you mean CP/M ?  well, now if we're going there.
                                I'm getting the urge to build that Nano CP/M machine(only 2 chips) that I mentioned in an earlier post.

                                =Dan
                              • Sridhar Ayengar
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                  Systems Glitch wrote:
                                  > What are the dates/times the shared hotel room is available? I can
                                  > ride Megabus from Albany down and back for $30 if I can leave first
                                  > thing Monday morning. If I've got to leave Sunday evening it'll cost
                                  > $44, so it's not a dealbreaker.

                                  If you'd rather come down to Poughkeepsie, I can get you the rest of the
                                  way.

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010

                                    On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

                                    What are the dates/times the shared hotel room is available? I can ride Megabus from Albany down and back for $30 if I can leave first thing Monday morning. If I've got to leave Sunday evening it'll cost $44, so it's not a dealbreaker.

                                    weird, I'm taking the Megabus all the way from Pittsburgh and it's only $29 each way.
                                    But it's way cheaper than anything else
                                    I have to leave Sun at 4:20pm, I can't take Monday off.

                                    =Dan

                                  • Systems Glitch
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                      That'd be great! I wouldn't have to worry about cramming everything into/onto the bus that way, and it'd allow us to have a second S-100 system running completely open on the display table (I don't think bringing the Cromemco Z-2D chassis would be a good idea). The power supply I use with my smaller backplane is current-limited, so if someone happens to short rails out on the display table, nothing bad will happen.

                                      If that works out (private e-mail sent), I'll be bringing a XT-IDE card too, since I've got several of them. Is anyone bringing an ISA-based machine? If not, and if we want a terminal for use with the Altair, et c., I can bring my Leading Edge Model D (XT clone) down to show off the XT-IDE and run terminal emulation. It's a smallish clone, much smaller than the original XT. If not, I'll bring just the card and CF adapter.

                                      I'm not sure if the software works with the 8088, but I do have an EPROM burner that uses an 8-bit ISA interface card. That would allow us to burn code to ROM while at the Faire, for use in the Altair, my S-100 set, or the 8085 board.

                                      @Dan R.: those prices were round-trip...Megabus is definitely the way to travel if you don't mind riding the bus!

                                      Thanks,
                                      Jonathan

                                      On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 14:35:52 -0400
                                      Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                      > Systems Glitch wrote:
                                      > > What are the dates/times the shared hotel room is available? I can
                                      > > ride Megabus from Albany down and back for $30 if I can leave first
                                      > > thing Monday morning. If I've got to leave Sunday evening it'll cost
                                      > > $44, so it's not a dealbreaker.
                                      >
                                      > If you'd rather come down to Poughkeepsie, I can get you the rest of the
                                      > way.
                                      >
                                      > Peace... Sridhar

                                      Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...>
                                    • Jeffrey Brace
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                        Evan,

                                        Make that 5 way split = $30 each. I'm sorry Evan I will be opting out of sharing the hotel room. I think it will be too crowded and uncomfortable for me. Not know how big the room is and not knowing if my air bed will fit. I will be staying with a friend who lives less than two miles from the hotel. I'm sorry but a tall guy like me might not have much room in such a small room.

                                        I will still meet you guys there and stay for a bit, before going to my friends house for the night.

                                        Jeff

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                            BTW: I am probably not staying in the hotel.. I am just donating money toward the room.

                                            I live in NYC and I am a train ride away.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                              Anyone passing thru Manhattan on Sat morning ?
                                              I could use a ride or help drag my travel case on the subway - this old man has some rusty bearings :)
                                              I get in late there Fri nite, a little after midnight so I'm crashing at my niece's place uptown that night. But they have wacky hours - they're down at work at midnight -  so they won't be up so early to get help.

                                              I'm hoping to get a taxi to take me back downtown in time to catch my bus at 4:20pm. I'm not sure If I can handle dragging it back on the subway.

                                              On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

                                              @Dan R.: those prices were round-trip...Megabus is definitely the way to travel if you don't mind riding the bus!

                                              and since it's an express bus, it's as fast as driving, plus free WiFi and power to charge up the laptop. It's a nice alternative to JetBlue when you're on a budget :)

                                              =Dan

                                            • Systems Glitch
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 11, 2010
                                                Anyone have an 8" single-sided floppy drive kicking around? I need a second for my OSI Challenger 3. I've got it booting from a single drive just fine, but the OS-65D copy utilities are meant for two-disk systems. A second drive will allow me to get some fully functional OS-65D V3.0 and V3.2 media put together from the various partially-good copies I have.

                                                It doesn't matter what model the drive is, as long as it has a data separator onboard. I'm using a Shugart SA-800 at the moment. Nonworking/misaligned drives are fine. If someone coming to the Maker Faire has one, that'd be even better, since we could avoid shipping!

                                                Thanks,

                                                Jonathan
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 11, 2010
                                                  Systems Glitch wrote:
                                                  > Anyone have an 8" single-sided floppy drive kicking around? I need a second for my OSI Challenger 3. I've got it booting from a single drive just fine, but the OS-65D copy utilities are meant for two-disk systems. A second drive will allow me to get some fully functional OS-65D V3.0 and V3.2 media put together from the various partially-good copies I have.
                                                  >
                                                  > It doesn't matter what model the drive is, as long as it has a data separator onboard. I'm using a Shugart SA-800 at the moment. Nonworking/misaligned drives are fine. If someone coming to the Maker Faire has one, that'd be even better, since we could avoid shipping!
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  >
                                                  > Jonathan

                                                  Jonathan,
                                                  I wish I did! I have some drives in that class but none are known to work.
                                                  Bill
                                                • Systems Glitch
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 11, 2010
                                                    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:15:20 -0400
                                                    B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                                    > Jonathan,
                                                    > I wish I did! I have some drives in that class but none are known to work.
                                                    > Bill

                                                    I've got at least one known-good 8" analog alignment disk and several others that may or may not be good, if you want to take a shot at fixing some/all of them, or want to send a broken one my way!

                                                    Thanks,

                                                    Jonathan
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 22, 2013
                                                      Good morning!

                                                      Day 1 at World Maker Faire was excellent for us. Me, Mouse, Alex J., and Alex's wife Amy were at our booth most of the day.

                                                      As always, we had a large number of interesting visitors, from very techie to young children. Our exhibit of the Mark-8 and of Bill Dudley's homebrew PDP8 clone is being received quite positively by everyone. Most people here really seem to understand our point about homebrewed vs. kits, and they also love that ACS in the mid-60s started here in NYC, vs (for example) Homebrew Comp. Club in Calif. from the mid-70s.

                                                      Perhaps the most interesting person was the man who said he still has his Mark-8. Very close second was someone from Johns Hopkins who previously helped us get our Univac. Definitely going to follow up with these people and many others.

                                                      We met several friends-of-MARCH: Chris L., Evan W., Harry N., several people from the NYC Resistors hackerspace ... Hope I didn't forget anyone.

                                                      We four, plus MARCHin Ethan D. (he's in town from Ohio on behalf of his hackerspace), all went to a good Italian restaurant. It looked like every table was Maker Faire people.

                                                      Alex and Amy are replaced today by Jeff B.; Mouse and I will meet up with him at 9-something this morning.