Historical Computer Society

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7 2:40 PM
      If you are within a reasonable driving distance to Atlanta (I know most here won't be), I would like to make you aware of a new user group for computer history / collecting enthusiasts - the Historical Computer Society. The first meeting of the Historical Computer Society is now scheduled! It is on Wednesday, October 6th, at 7pm. Meetings will regularly be the first Wednesday of each month. The location is very central to greater Atlanta (it's where Buckhead and midtown meet). We will be meeting inside the Macquarium building, on the second floor, in the Macquarium offices. The address is 1800 Peachtree Street NW, Suite 250, Atlanta, Georgia 30309 - http://www.macquarium.com/contact/directions.php

      The get-togethers will always be about fun and hanging out, plus showing and playing with cool old systems, presentations, open discussions, s, and more. Though I am the founder, I intend that the group evolve into a stand-alone, self-governing, non-profit, and educational organization. Please email me with any questions or comments. http://www.atlantausergroups.com/group/historicalcomputersociety?xg_source=activity

      Best,

      David Greelish, Computer Historian

      Classic Computing
      The Home of Computer History Nostalgia

      Classic Computing Show video podcast

      Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer audio book podcast

      http://www.classiccomputing.com

      Classic Computing Expo
      (planning / working for April 2011!)

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7 8:07 PM
          Good luck with this.

          Friendly suggestion: give some geographic info in the group's name. How about HACS -- Historic Atlanta Computer Society?

          If you just call it "the" Historic Computer Society, you'll get all sorts of people who don't understand your regional focus.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8 6:11 AM

            > Good luck with this.
            >
            > Friendly suggestion: give some geographic info in the group's name. How about HACS -- Historic Atlanta Computer Society?
            >
            > If you just call it "the" Historic Computer Society, you'll get all sorts of people who don't understand your regional focus.

            Thanks Evan, I do appreciate the advice. Ironically, Stan Veit gave me the same advice back in 1993, in his letter when he joined. You can see a scan of that letter in my blog article. I don't remember why I didn't change the name, but probably because I had already began posting it around, etc. I like it, though it's not the perfect name. "Computer Historical Society" might even be more grammatically correct - ?

            At this point, the name itself has some history behind it – almost 18 years, so that's mainly why I'm using it. I don't think the group will focus on our region especially, as I just happen to live in this area now. Once it gets up and running, and has a governing board, they can decide if they want to change it.
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8 7:42 AM
              So.. I decided to make a blog.

              My reason is to accumulate vintage computer news and announcements.

              http://8bitaficionado.com/

              One of the things I see a lot of heat about on here and on Classiccmp is posting of Craigslist/ebay stuff. So I will be posting those on the blog.

              Please feel free to give opinions.

              Thanks

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8 8:18 AM
                On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                So.. I decided to make a blog.

                My reason is to accumulate vintage computer news and announcements.

                http://8bitaficionado.com/

                Please feel free to give opinions.

                but they're not all 8bitters  -hah (TI, Amiga,Atari ST)
                <duck 'n runs away>

                congrats,
                =Dan

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8 8:29 AM
                  --- On Wed, 9/8/10, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                  but they're not all 8bitters  -hah (TI, Amiga,Atari ST)
                  <duck 'n runs away>

                  I thought of Old Bit, but it didn't make sense to me..

                  Eh.. I kinda got tired of posting things only to get someone complaining. So now I have my own site and I can post what I want.

                  I am looking to do something like "My Classic Car" where people send photos and a little blurb about their computer. I want to call it like My old computer or something. I think that would be cool. People are proud of what they have and I want them to be able to show it off.

                  Also I am looking for old photos of people with their early computers, I think that would be cool too.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8 8:33 AM
                    On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:

                    > Also I am looking for old photos of people with their early computers, I
                    > think that would be cool too.

                    Do you period pictures, or recent pictures with old hardware?

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8 9:55 AM
                      --- On Wed, 9/8/10, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                      Do you period pictures, or recent pictures with old hardware?

                      Both.. Why?

                      I like having people show off the computers they have now. You see me take a lot of photos at VCF because people are proud to show off the machine. I feel that pride.

                      I really would like older photos of when we used these machines in their prime.. I have been digging through my mom's photos looking for pictures of me with my C64.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10 6:25 PM
                        Chris,

                        Your blog is great! I just subscribed to the RSS feed so I can keep up. No matter which way you take this, it's good for the hobby.

                        My only criticism is the graphic at the top of the page. On my netbook, that graphic is all that is visible when the page loads. I think you could get the same effect using half that much vertical screen real estate so at least your top headline is visible.

                        Jim