RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF Midwest

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
      And did you know that VCF MidWest will be co-located with ECCC (Emergency Chicagoland Commodore Convention ?
      http://starbase.globalpc.net/eccc/

      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      From: billdeg@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 23:05:07 -0400
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] VCF Midwest

      FYI,
      http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
      It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

      Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

      The SIG

      The computer hobbyist special interest group, or "SIG", became popular in the later 1970's and was comprised of communities of like-minded persons dedicated to a particular computer system or manufacturer. There were hundreds, maybe thousands of these groups in North America and elsewhere. Most SIG's held monthly meetings, published newsletters, and ran SIG-centric bulletin board systems. The SIG was a communication tool, a software library, a knowledge base, and the source of innovation. Often these clubs continued well after a product was canceled or became obsolete and in this way they were the first "vintage computer" hobbyists. The number of SIG's declined in the mid 90's as the World Wide Web diminished the need for such groups.

      My exhibit will demonstrate systems and materials from the New Jersey USA based Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX81) SIG.

      Bill

    • Jason T
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
        On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        > http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
        > It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

        There will? I guess I missed that...what is it?

        > Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

        Sorry - I was trying to keep the descriptions short. I can expand it
        a bit if you like.

        --
        jht
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
          Jason T wrote:
          On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
          It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

          There will?  I guess I missed that...what is it?

          We have been talking about having an exhibit at MARCH's computer museum at InfoAge comprised of timesharing terminals - "green screens"  - that people can use when they visit the MARCH musuem.  The terminals would probably be hooked up to a modern PC however, for support reasons.  It would be a simulated green screen experience.  You're would be the real thing.

          Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

          Sorry - I was trying to keep the descriptions short.  I can expand it
          a bit if you like.

          No need, but thanks.  I would be just as happy with "..a pile of Sinclair 1000's and related stuff that goes with it.." - I like to try to come up with a theme of some sort for my exhibits to make them more interesting.

          Bill
        • Jason T
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
            On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            > We have been talking about having an exhibit at MARCH's computer museum at InfoAge comprised of timesharing terminals - "green screens"  - that people can use when they visit the MARCH musuem.  The terminals would probably be hooked up to a modern PC however, for support reasons.  It would be a simulated green screen experience.  You're would be the real thing.

            Ahhh....my own display :) I was in video production mode when I saw
            the "green screen" term. Thinking Chromakey...

            Our terms will be attached to a terminal server but from there will
            probably just go to a generic *nix box. Then again, anything on the
            network will be accessible (if we do it right,) so it all depends on
            what people bring.

            > No need, but thanks.  I would be just as happy with "..a pile of Sinclair 1000's and related stuff that goes with it.." - I like to try to come up with a theme of some sort for my exhibits to make them more interesting.

            I really like the SIG history concept. Should be a good burst of
            nostalgia for those who were around then.

            -j