Re: Report -- InfoAge work day...

  • Frank_OBrien
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi all;

      Yes, it was great to get to know everyone - I'm sure that we'll have
      a lot of fun in the future. Apologies for not being able to stay
      longer - but at least my meetings at another museum (Sarnoff) were
      productive... Apologies further for my inablility to remember faces
      and names - over time I promise to get better!

      > We previously talked about having our museum space at InfoAge's main
      > building ("the hotel") but there is too much happening there
      (events,
      > construction) and there is too little security. So, per Fred's
      original
      > idea, we scoped out a nice part of the second building (I forget
      what it's
      > called -- I mean the building directly behind the hotel where the
      National
      > Broadcasters Hall of Fame will also be located.)

      Since I wasn't there, is this what we refer to as "The Library"? -
      It's the "L" shaped building behind the hotel.

      > We vaguely had Fred's permission to make this claim,
      > but he had to leave for a few hours. The conclusion: "It's easier
      to do now
      > and ask for forgiveness later than to get permission first."

      Wrong! You guys have to understand that you are now affiliated with
      our organization, and that kind or attitude certainly doesn't endear
      us to MARCH. Fred has a cellphone, as do I. Both of us are available
      to answer questions or help organize.

      > We began moving all the heavy computers (lots of DEC, teletypes,
      servers,
      > etc.) from the NJBHOF room down the hall to a couple of the rooms
      in "our"
      > new turf. We spread out the items across a few of the rooms...
      each room we
      > use for storage makes it one less room another group can claim,
      right?

      Wrong again. Very Wrong. It's not "your" turf. It's Infoage's turf.
      We make the final call. You cannot make claims for space that we may
      have plans for in the future. Additionally, in the future when
      the "H" buildings come online, everything will probably get moved
      around in ways that none of us can imagine. Honestly, Evan, this kind
      of attitude is really going to endanger our relationship. I suggest
      you think about what your expectations are, and how you think you can
      fit in. As with the other organizations that are under the
      Infoage "umbrella", we have to paraphrase JFK:

      "Ask not, what Infoage can do for you - ask what you can do for
      Infoage"

      (O.K., it's a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea....)

      > One highlight: the vast InfoAge
      > collection is only LESS THAN HALF of Mr. Grabbe's full collection.
      The
      > other half is yet to be transported from Grabbe's home in the
      Harrisburg, PA
      > area to InfoAge. Fred is working on setting this up. When the
      time comes,
      > he'll need three assistants -- "two to move the collection and one
      to keep
      > Mr. Grabbe occupied" -- Fred's words, not mine.

      As we discussed in the meeting yesterday, Dr. Grabbe is first and
      foremost an Electical Engineer, and quite honestly, is not into old
      computers as much as his collection might imply. His focus is on
      computer design, "packaging" and associated technologies. This means
      that any kind or oral histories should probably focus on this area.
      We can get all kinds of info elsewhere on PDP-8's and -11's for
      example, but where else are we going to going to get a talk about
      Gene Amdahl's wafer scale integration program (incredible stuff!)?
      The computer (actually, more of a programmable sequencer) for Mariner
      4? Etc. Dr. Grabbe *loves* to get "down and dirty" when talking about
      the technologies - it's our job to translate a lot of this into
      understandable English for the public. I suggest that one or two of
      your folks with EE backgrounds come with you to help probe his mind
      for these kinds of things. I'll bet it will be a blast for everyone!

      By the way, if you go, we have to make sure you bring something nice
      for Mrs. Grabbe. Flowers, a basket of homemade fruits/jams/etc. or
      whatever. She is the most wonderful person you will ever meet, and
      don't be surprised if she invites you for lunch. It's in everyone's
      best interest to do something nice (besides, I'm still guilty about
      what we did to her lawn the last time I was there....)

      > Fred also told us that April 1 will be the ceremony for officially
      turning
      > over the buildings from the town to InfoAge. As with the WWII
      dedication
      > day a few months ago, he'd like us to have a (small) exhibit
      presence.

      As I said in previous E-mail, I would strongly suggest a big showing
      of MARCH members, complete with polo shirts (hats, underwear or
      whatever) and such to make a great impression. The local politicos
      plus probably a few DOD/BRAC folks will be there. It's important that
      we show everyone that their efforts in helping to create Infoage were
      not for naught.

      > A few weeks later (April 22-23) is the Trenton show.
      > Unlike this year's Trenton
      > show, we only should have a MARCH booth, not a whole room / exhibit
      again.
      > The reason is because we don't want the public to say "Well I just
      saw your
      > old computers in Trenton, why should I come to VCF East a few weeks
      later?"
      > Joe Public doesn't know what VCF is, so we absolutely can't afford
      > cannibalize our event by doing too much at Trenton next year.
      Instead, at
      > Trenton we'll just man a booth and sign up people for our list and
      > distribute flyers and stuff.

      Honestly, I'll disagree with this - you are targeting two very
      different audiences. VCF, from what little I know about it, is a
      highly targeted event, with a small, select, but dedicated following.
      In essence, you are playing to the converted. TCF is a bit different -
      there are folks that probably never heard of retro computing, or
      were not aware of the extent of such a thing. As such, TCF is far
      better in terms of "community outreach", which is now the whole name
      of our game. Think of the number of folks who came to your room at
      TCF - I'll bet 90% of the folks you saw were just walk-in's, and they
      walked out with a new appreciation of the stuff from "back in the
      day". Don't worry about cannibalizing one attendance for another -
      many folks appreciate a second opportunity to see things.
      Additionally, there are often time/schedule conflicts that might
      preclude someone from going to VCF, but they will be able to attend
      TCF.

      As always, just my USD $0.02

      All the very best,

      Frank
    • evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
        Frank, no worries, your opinion as an InfoAge officer is worth a lot more than
        two cents to us. :)

        We in MARCH already knew each other yesterday but we were glad to share our
        backgrounds and interests with you.

        However, please keep in mind that messages like my trip report on this mailing
        list are only intended as entertaining, informative, and informal updates for
        our general membership. So when I used phrases like turf its only in q casual
        way.

        I assure you that MARCH and specifically our officers fully understand that
        most of our collection is actually InfoAges collection/property. We are very
        careful to make this distinction when it really counts, for example, when we
        were organizing things in the basement yesterday. Im sure you understand that
        in the purely colloquial sense we just say our collection for simplicity on
        this mailing list rather than explaining the asterisk each time. We save the
        long explanation for newcomers, etc.

        (Sent from my cell phone so this message is brief, will follow-up with you
        later off-list.)

        - Evan

        === Message Truncated ===

      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
          Evan,

          That's OK. Guess I can keep the Hero-1, since
          I couldn't have taken it since I wasn't there...

          === message truncated ===

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
            We have photos.  :)

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > I forgot to mention that Bob Grieb also was there all
            day.

            > Sorry!
            >
            >   _____

            Evan

            Koblentz's personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

            > Computer
            Collector Newsletter:

            href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

            http://www.marchclub.org

            >   _____
            >
            > YAHOO!
            GROUPS LINKS

            *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

            > *      Your use
            of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            >   _____

            === message truncated ===

            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
              Egads everyone, I'm replying to my own reply...

              My message earlier today was sent in a hurry from a Treo, because Frank's comments deserved an urgent reply.  But my reply didn't come out as clearly as I hoped.

              Frank is absolutely correct -- everything in the Grabbe collection belongs to Infoage, not MARCH -- and so we have to be more considerate of Infoage leaders' opinions as we assemble the museum.  Granted, Fred's directive to us is simply "do your best with your limited resources," and we've done exactly that so far.  We just need to keep thinking in terms of the big picture.  Also, as we in MARCH start to get more items donated directly to us, it's going to be more tedious to organize it all.  But I think we did a pretty good job yesterday.

              Frank's also correct about what he said (or at least what I read) between the lines -- that I was too quick to open my big mouth.  My comments about "claiming" rooms and such, albeit mostly just joking around and referencing some inside jokes from Saturday, were obviously vague and inappropriate for the general list.  I apologize to Frank and anyone else who I offended.

              And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

              Assuming no snow, who's up for another work day on Saturday, Dec. 10?  Now that we got some organizing done, we can begin real cataloging, as was the plan yesterday.