OOPS! -- RE: [midatlanticretro] Report -- InfoAge work day...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
      I forgot to mention that Bob Grieb also was there all day.

      Sorry!

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
        Hi all;

        Yes, it was great to get to know everyone - I'm sure that we'll have
        a lot of fun in the future. Apologies for not being able to stay
        longer - but at least my meetings at another museum (Sarnoff) were
        productive... Apologies further for my inablility to remember faces
        and names - over time I promise to get better!

        > We previously talked about having our museum space at InfoAge's main
        > building ("the hotel") but there is too much happening there
        (events,
        > construction) and there is too little security. So, per Fred's
        original
        > idea, we scoped out a nice part of the second building (I forget
        what it's
        > called -- I mean the building directly behind the hotel where the
        National
        > Broadcasters Hall of Fame will also be located.)

        Since I wasn't there, is this what we refer to as "The Library"? -
        It's the "L" shaped building behind the hotel.

        > We vaguely had Fred's permission to make this claim,
        > but he had to leave for a few hours. The conclusion: "It's easier
        to do now
        > and ask for forgiveness later than to get permission first."

        Wrong! You guys have to understand that you are now affiliated with
        our organization, and that kind or attitude certainly doesn't endear
        us to MARCH. Fred has a cellphone, as do I. Both of us are available
        to answer questions or help organize.

        > We began moving all the heavy computers (lots of DEC, teletypes,
        servers,
        > etc.) from the NJBHOF room down the hall to a couple of the rooms
        in "our"
        > new turf. We spread out the items across a few of the rooms...
        each room we
        > use for storage makes it one less room another group can claim,
        right?

        Wrong again. Very Wrong. It's not "your" turf. It's Infoage's turf.
        We make the final call. You cannot make claims for space that we may
        have plans for in the future. Additionally, in the future when
        the "H" buildings come online, everything will probably get moved
        around in ways that none of us can imagine. Honestly, Evan, this kind
        of attitude is really going to endanger our relationship. I suggest
        you think about what your expectations are, and how you think you can
        fit in. As with the other organizations that are under the
        Infoage "umbrella", we have to paraphrase JFK:

        "Ask not, what Infoage can do for you - ask what you can do for
        Infoage"

        (O.K., it's a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea....)

        > One highlight: the vast InfoAge
        > collection is only LESS THAN HALF of Mr. Grabbe's full collection.
        The
        > other half is yet to be transported from Grabbe's home in the
        Harrisburg, PA
        > area to InfoAge. Fred is working on setting this up. When the
        time comes,
        > he'll need three assistants -- "two to move the collection and one
        to keep
        > Mr. Grabbe occupied" -- Fred's words, not mine.

        As we discussed in the meeting yesterday, Dr. Grabbe is first and
        foremost an Electical Engineer, and quite honestly, is not into old
        computers as much as his collection might imply. His focus is on
        computer design, "packaging" and associated technologies. This means
        that any kind or oral histories should probably focus on this area.
        We can get all kinds of info elsewhere on PDP-8's and -11's for
        example, but where else are we going to going to get a talk about
        Gene Amdahl's wafer scale integration program (incredible stuff!)?
        The computer (actually, more of a programmable sequencer) for Mariner
        4? Etc. Dr. Grabbe *loves* to get "down and dirty" when talking about
        the technologies - it's our job to translate a lot of this into
        understandable English for the public. I suggest that one or two of
        your folks with EE backgrounds come with you to help probe his mind
        for these kinds of things. I'll bet it will be a blast for everyone!

        By the way, if you go, we have to make sure you bring something nice
        for Mrs. Grabbe. Flowers, a basket of homemade fruits/jams/etc. or
        whatever. She is the most wonderful person you will ever meet, and
        don't be surprised if she invites you for lunch. It's in everyone's
        best interest to do something nice (besides, I'm still guilty about
        what we did to her lawn the last time I was there....)

        > Fred also told us that April 1 will be the ceremony for officially
        turning
        > over the buildings from the town to InfoAge. As with the WWII
        dedication
        > day a few months ago, he'd like us to have a (small) exhibit
        presence.

        As I said in previous E-mail, I would strongly suggest a big showing
        of MARCH members, complete with polo shirts (hats, underwear or
        whatever) and such to make a great impression. The local politicos
        plus probably a few DOD/BRAC folks will be there. It's important that
        we show everyone that their efforts in helping to create Infoage were
        not for naught.

        > A few weeks later (April 22-23) is the Trenton show.
        > Unlike this year's Trenton
        > show, we only should have a MARCH booth, not a whole room / exhibit
        again.
        > The reason is because we don't want the public to say "Well I just
        saw your
        > old computers in Trenton, why should I come to VCF East a few weeks
        later?"
        > Joe Public doesn't know what VCF is, so we absolutely can't afford
        > cannibalize our event by doing too much at Trenton next year.
        Instead, at
        > Trenton we'll just man a booth and sign up people for our list and
        > distribute flyers and stuff.

        Honestly, I'll disagree with this - you are targeting two very
        different audiences. VCF, from what little I know about it, is a
        highly targeted event, with a small, select, but dedicated following.
        In essence, you are playing to the converted. TCF is a bit different -
        there are folks that probably never heard of retro computing, or
        were not aware of the extent of such a thing. As such, TCF is far
        better in terms of "community outreach", which is now the whole name
        of our game. Think of the number of folks who came to your room at
        TCF - I'll bet 90% of the folks you saw were just walk-in's, and they
        walked out with a new appreciation of the stuff from "back in the
        day". Don't worry about cannibalizing one attendance for another -
        many folks appreciate a second opportunity to see things.
        Additionally, there are often time/schedule conflicts that might
        preclude someone from going to VCF, but they will be able to attend
        TCF.

        As always, just my USD $0.02

        All the very best,

        Frank
      • evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
          Frank, no worries, your opinion as an InfoAge officer is worth a lot more than
          two cents to us. :)

          We in MARCH already knew each other yesterday but we were glad to share our
          backgrounds and interests with you.

          However, please keep in mind that messages like my trip report on this mailing
          list are only intended as entertaining, informative, and informal updates for
          our general membership. So when I used phrases like turf its only in q casual
          way.

          I assure you that MARCH and specifically our officers fully understand that
          most of our collection is actually InfoAges collection/property. We are very
          careful to make this distinction when it really counts, for example, when we
          were organizing things in the basement yesterday. Im sure you understand that
          in the purely colloquial sense we just say our collection for simplicity on
          this mailing list rather than explaining the asterisk each time. We save the
          long explanation for newcomers, etc.

          (Sent from my cell phone so this message is brief, will follow-up with you
          later off-list.)

          - Evan

          === Message Truncated ===

        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
            Evan,

            That's OK. Guess I can keep the Hero-1, since
            I couldn't have taken it since I wasn't there...

            === message truncated ===

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
              We have photos.  :)

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > I forgot to mention that Bob Grieb also was there all
              day.

              > Sorry!
              >
              >   _____

              Evan

              Koblentz's personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

              http://www.marchclub.org

              >   _____
              >
              > YAHOO!
              GROUPS LINKS

              *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > *      Your use
              of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              >   _____

              === message truncated ===

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2005
                Egads everyone, I'm replying to my own reply...

                My message earlier today was sent in a hurry from a Treo, because Frank's comments deserved an urgent reply.  But my reply didn't come out as clearly as I hoped.

                Frank is absolutely correct -- everything in the Grabbe collection belongs to Infoage, not MARCH -- and so we have to be more considerate of Infoage leaders' opinions as we assemble the museum.  Granted, Fred's directive to us is simply "do your best with your limited resources," and we've done exactly that so far.  We just need to keep thinking in terms of the big picture.  Also, as we in MARCH start to get more items donated directly to us, it's going to be more tedious to organize it all.  But I think we did a pretty good job yesterday.

                Frank's also correct about what he said (or at least what I read) between the lines -- that I was too quick to open my big mouth.  My comments about "claiming" rooms and such, albeit mostly just joking around and referencing some inside jokes from Saturday, were obviously vague and inappropriate for the general list.  I apologize to Frank and anyone else who I offended.

                And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

                Assuming no snow, who's up for another work day on Saturday, Dec. 10?  Now that we got some organizing done, we can begin real cataloging, as was the plan yesterday.

> [...]

                > you
                think about what your expectations are, and how you think you can
                > fit
                in. As with the other organizations that are under the
                > Infoage
                "umbrella", we have to paraphrase JFK:

                > "Ask not, what Infoage
                can do for you - ask what you can do for
                > Infoage"

                (O.K., it's a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea....)

                One highlight: the vast InfoAge
                > > collection is only LESS THAN HALF
                of Mr. Grabbe's full collection.
                > The
                > > other half is
                yet to be transported from Grabbe's home in the
                > Harrisburg, PA
                > > area to InfoAge.  Fred is working on setting this up.  When the
                > time comes,
                > > he'll need three assistants -- "two to move
                Fred's words, not mine.