Looking for early 3Com cards, ISA

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2010
      I am passing this note along. Matt Whitehead lives in the DC area and
      he works for RedHat. He found out about our group from HOPE, and he has
      been working with me to get the PDP 11/05 up and running. This
      knowledge can be applied to MARCH's PDP 11/05 too.
      Here is a thread with more details

      * * * *

      As to the subject of this email, I saw that Matt made a post to MARCH
      but it was either deleted or disappeared... here is the message should
      anyone be able to help him. Contact him directly.

      Bill
      --------------------------

      FROM: whiteheadm@...
      DATE: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:53:23 -0000
      SUBJECT: Old Ethernet Cards & Computer

      Guys, I'm looking for two items.

      1) A Pentium Pro or Pentium II system

      2) old ethernet cards. For the cards, I need:
      a) 3Com Etherlink II (aka 3c503)
      b) Western Digital 8003 or 8013
      c) Genuine Novell NE2000 (not clones)

      Please contact me at whiteheadm@... if you can sell me
      such item.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2010
        All new member posts are moderated. I replied to his and asked him to please re-send it with an intro and an OT: preface because it was mostly about Pentium topics.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2010
          OK

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > All new member posts are moderated. I replied to his and asked him to please re-send it with an intro and an OT: preface because it was mostly about Pentium topics.

        • MITA - Gmail
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2010

            I can probably dig up one of those Ethernet cards but right now is not a good time. If you get stuck, after a month or so get back to me.

            Gil

            --
            A. G. (Gil) Carrick, Director
            Museum of Information Technology at Arlington

            DT MITA icon

            1012 Portofino Drive

            Arlington, TX 76012
            817-264-MITA (6482) - gil.carrick (Skype)

            http://MIT-A.com

          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
              I think I have a few of the cards that even could use the coax cable. Give me a few
              days to dig them out.
              bs

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30 6:42 AM
                Do you still have any old cards?

                On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 08:05 -0700, Bob Schwier wrote:
                > I think I have a few of the cards that even could use the coax cable.
                > Give me a few
                > days to dig them out.
                > bs
                >
                > --- On Sat, 9/4/10, MITA - Gmail <museum.it.arlington@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: MITA - Gmail <museum.it.arlington@...>
                > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re:Looking for early 3Com cards,
                > ISA
                > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Saturday, September 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
                >

                > I can probably dig up one of those Ethernet cards but right
                > now is not a good time. If you get stuck, after a month or so
                > get back to me.
                >

                > Gil
                >
                > --
                > A. G. (Gil) Carrick, Director
                > Museum of Information Technology at Arlington
                >
                > DT MITA icon
                >
                > 1012 Portofino Drive
                >
                > Arlington, TX 76012
                > 817-264-MITA (6482) - gil.carrick (Skype)
                >

                > http://MIT-A.com

              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30 8:01 AM
                  On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:42:31AM -0400, tedheadster wrote:
                  > Do you still have any old cards?

                  If not I have several EtherLink III 3C509B and one EtherLink II 3C503-16-TP.
                • Bob Applegate
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30 9:08 AM
                    I've got an Etherlink III with original box, docs and disk as well.  It looks like at least one NE-2000 board if you want it too.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30 4:30 PM
                      It appears my main KIM-1 has a bad U2, which is one of the preprogrammed 6530s. Ie, it's extremely unlikely to find one used someplace.

                      Anyone have any dead machines they don't plan on restoring? There might be a chance the chip I need is still working.

                      Bob
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30 6:09 PM
                        On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                        It appears my main KIM-1 has a bad U2, which is one of the preprogrammed 6530s.  Ie, it's extremely unlikely to find one used someplace.

                        Anyone have any dead machines they don't plan on restoring?  There might be a chance the chip I need is still working.

                        I remember about this too, as the replica have workaround using an eprom..
                        You mean there's nobody with NOS 6530 parts with the KIM code ?
                        I haven't looked yet myself,but I'm curious.

                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2011

                          On Apr 30, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:

                          On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                          It appears my main KIM-1 has a bad U2, which is one of the preprogrammed 6530s.  Ie, it's extremely unlikely to find one used someplace.

                          Anyone have any dead machines they don't plan on restoring?  There might be a chance the chip I need is still working.

                          I remember about this too, as the replica have workaround using an eprom..
                          You mean there's nobody with NOS 6530 parts with the KIM code ?
                          I haven't looked yet myself,but I'm curious.

                          If you know a source, please let me know.  The ROM portion is good, and the keyboard monitor comes up when reset is pressed, but it looks like port A on U2 is not able to drive output anymore, at least not all the bits.  One of the funky symptoms is that the top segment of the LEDs is always on.  The TTY interface is also dead because it's on the same port.  Need to put it on the scope this morning and verify some of the data.

                          Bob

                        • Bob Schwier
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2011
                            Plenty of old cards.  I got sidetracked and forgot to inventory.
                            bs