Possible Display for the Maker Faire

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2 7:34 AM
      Anyone think this is interesting enough to display at the Maker Faire?

      http://www.glitchwrks.com/8085projects/index.html

      Not strictly vintage since the board was designed in April and produced last month, but it uses mostly vintage technology in a modern project.

      Thanks,

      Jonathan
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3 4:25 AM
        I think the basic approach is trying to take some part of the vintage computing world and applying a new/modern App (hardware and/or software) to this to demonstrate how practical it can be still. This would be an attractive display.

        I'm bringing a C64 with the Ethernet cartridge to demonstrate how it can surf online and send tweets over Twitter.

        For the hardware hackers,(like me too) perhaps even this one, this is taking the reverse approach, using new hardware to emulate old hardware. But this one is too cool.

        CP/M on AVR micro (page#'s are on the right)
        http://spritesmods.com/?art=avrcpm&page=1

        It's a complete CP/M system using only 2 chips, with a SD card Flash drive
        You could put this in a Altoids tin can(common hacker project case) and using a serial terminal.

        I'm not sure why they didn't put a ps/2 kybd patch in there - but then you would need another patch in there to output a vga signal - he probably wasn't interested at the moment.

        I like to build this myself,
        =Dan

        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
        Anyone think this is interesting enough to display at the Maker Faire?

        http://www.glitchwrks.com/8085projects/index.html

        Not strictly vintage since the board was designed in April and produced last month, but it uses mostly vintage technology in a modern project.

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3 6:45 AM
          Dan,

          Besides the PSX64 with Shedz64, I was considering bringing other new C64 hardware. Like the C64Nic+ (ethernet card), uIEC/SD (flash drive), EasyFlash (multiple ROM cartridges in flash memory). I won't get there until Saturday night, so you should bring your stuff to show first. Which C64 Ethernet cart are you brining ? And how will you connect to internet there ? I wasn't sure if they had some jacks for that there.

          I was considering putting my uIEC into an Altoids can. Have you done this before ? I would be curious how it was done so that I wouldn't be reinventing the wheel. Specifically measurements, tools used, parts needed. Also for uIEC there was a simple hack to allow pushing a button to advance through disk images (found in text file). Perhaps you can help me with that project when we are there.

          Jeff B

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3 7:05 AM
            On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

            Dan,

            Besides the PSX64 with Shedz64, I was considering bringing other new C64 hardware. Like the C64Nic+ (ethernet card), uIEC/SD (flash drive), EasyFlash (multiple ROM cartridges in flash memory). I won't get there until Saturday night, so you should bring your stuff to show first. Which C64 Ethernet cart are you brining ? And how will you connect to internet there ? I wasn't sure if they had some jacks for that there.

            I will be there both days. I have the C64NIC+ ethernet cartridge too. I'm not sure whether they have a Lan there, but they do have WiFi from what I heard. I think Evan mentioned it on here already. So I'm trying to get the laptop ready as a WiFi gateway with a crossover cat5 cable to get online. I can test it here at home first to make sure it works.

            I was considering putting my uIEC into an Altoids can. Have you done this before ? I would be curious how it was done so that I wouldn't be reinventing the wheel. Specifically measurements, tools used, parts needed. Also for uIEC there was a simple hack to allow pushing a button to advance through disk images (found in text file). Perhaps you can help me with that project when we are there.

            I haven't used the uIEC, but as with any hack project, you have to use some ingenuity to mount inside the Altoids can, so elbow grease, patience, etc. There might be somebody that posted this method online already. But I'll be glad to help.

            =Dan

          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3 2:51 PM
              Is anyone interested in an Apple LISA or two?
              I have a friend who is moving and has to dispose of same.  I have not had
              the opportunity of finding out yet if the things still work though red
              marker on the bodies of them indicate that they did function to some
              degree when last turned on.
              If anyone shows an interest, I'll collect them, test them and make
              arrangements for them to be picked up.  I live in Delaware County, PA.
              bs

              .

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3 3:17 PM
                  I would LOVE one too.  I am in DELCO also.

                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3 3:19 PM
                    Working or not I am still interested.

                    Greg

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3 5:02 PM
                          <moderation -- I approved this post, but it's hard to take seriously -- evan k.>

                          ------------

                          Hello,

                          I have a BIG interest on these Lisas!!!! In fact, Lisa II will complete my apple collection (missing TAM and more 2 models).

                          Now, I living in Brazil, but, I still have an address in Sarasota, FL.

                          I am working on a project to open a museum in Sao Paulo (Brazil) in mid of 2012. And my collection will be donated to the museum.

                          Please, let me know what I can do put my hands on the Lisa!

                          Thanks,
                          Rilker-

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

                          > Is anyone interested in an Apple LISA or two?
                          > I have a friend who is moving and has to dispose of same.  I have not had
                          > the opportunity of finding out yet if the things still work though red
                          > marker on the bodies of them indicate that they did function to some
                          > degree when last turned on.
                          > If anyone shows an interest, I'll collect them, test them and make
                          > arrangements for them to be picked up.  I live in Delaware County, PA.
                          > bs

                          > .

                        • Bob Schwier
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3 5:16 PM
                            I will get back to you when I have them in my possession.
                            bs

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3 8:04 PM
                              if still available, I'm interested too !

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 4 4:55 AM
                                I almost bought one on ebay, they have been coming down in price.
                                Even with 66 watchers this went for $515.00

                                http://cgi.ebay.com/280552406641
                              • Bob Schwier
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 4 10:12 AM
                                  On my porch are two machines, a power supply, a hard drive (5 1/4 full), books on
                                  using accompanying software and one mouse.  Note, no keyboard.  One machine
                                  seems to have been working when it was originally laid up and the other seems
                                  to have had a bad floppy drive and one bad slot according to what is written on
                                  the case.
                                  Unfortunately, there is no appropriate keyboard.  John says he will look for it but
                                  I'm not holding my breath.
                                  bs

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 5 7:35 AM
                                    Patience everyone, I'm hoping that he finds other LISA stuff before putting the package
                                    together.
                                    His move will not be complete until Sunday Sept 12.
                                    bs

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 5 6:10 PM

                                      ... Waiting with worms on tongue [baited breath]...

                                      Greg

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 5 6:29 PM
                                        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                                        > Follow the GET LAMP Screening Tour
                                        > http://www.getlamp.com/jetlamp/
                                        > There's supposed to be more dates being added as he goes along.
                                        > Maybe you can get him scheduled for VCF 7.0, his schedule shouldn't be too
                                        > crowded by then :)
                                        >
                                        > He will be in Brooklyn Oct.7th at the Alpha One Labs hackerspace
                                        >
                                        > He's going to be here in Pittsburgh on Oct.4th at CMU.
                                        > I was going to bring something running Adventure or Zork.

                                        A CP/M system will run classic Adventure.

                                        Dan (or whoever contacts the GET LAMP person), you might pass along an FYI about the guy who exhibited at TCF this year about "MegaWars". That's apparently a multiplayer on-line game on Compuserve in the 80's and 90's.

                                        I don't have the exhibitor's name but he had a booth in the TCNJ Student Center at the time. Booth photos show "try it at megawarsiii.com" (or MEGAWARSIII.COM). No info about
                                        exhibitors on the TCF Web site. I spoke to him and he seemed knowledgeable about the game's history, he was working to revive it. The Web site, or contacts with TCF, may get more info.

                                        Herb Johnson
                                        emerging from the basement at retrotechnology.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 5 6:58 PM
                                          > FYI about the guy who exhibited at TCF this year about "MegaWars". That's apparently a multiplayer on-line game on Compuserve in the 80's and 90's.
                                          >
                                          > I don't have the exhibitor's name but he had a booth in the TCNJ Student Center at the time. Booth photos show "try it at megawarsiii.com" (or MEGAWARSIII.COM)

                                          A good tip -- thank you.

                                          More important: welcome back.
                                        • Bill Dromgoole
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 5 7:43 PM

                                             For more information on the "worms" see http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

                                            Cruel Clever Cat:

                                            Sally, having swallowed cheese,
                                            Directs down holes the scented breeze,
                                            Enticing thus with baited breath
                                            Nice mice to an untimely death.

                                            BillDrom

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 6 8:38 AM
                                              On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM, S100DOCTOR
                                              A CP/M system will run classic Adventure.
                                              [snip]

                                              DOCTOR, DOCTOR, pleeeasseee
                                              OOOhhh, the mess I'm in !

                                              DOCTOR, DOCTOR, pleeeasseee