re: [midatlanticretro] Follow the GET LAMP Screening Tour

  • Alexey Toptygin
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2010
      On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

      > What did you like most about this documentary? Least?
      >
      > I like the part when they show the location of the actual cave entrace the
      > inspired Adventure!, it actually helped me find the cave in the game.

      The caving footage was pretty cool! I also liked the interviews with blind
      players.

      > Critcism - actual material was less than the BBS doc, the first disk is
      > really just one documentary with two versions.

      I didn't like the editing in this one so much. Like the one time where an
      interviewee is talking about how IF is a non-linear format and there's
      jump cut after jump cut... to like .2 seconds farther along the same
      recording. Made my head spin. I guess it was trying to be artsy, but I
      feel it detracts from the content.

      Alexey
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2010

        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        That's a very good idea!  I agree.  One cool thing about Adventure! on the
        PDP 8 is that each time a response is entered into the computer, the lights
        blink as the answer is generated.  Very cool.  I did not make a PDP 8 video
        of any depth yet, but I want to document this effect and put it up on
        youtube asap.

        yea, that's was also cool about running Lunar Lander, all that math really make the lights flicker.

        But It just noticed from looking thru my list,
        I don't have a version of Adventure in Basic, just Fortran and C, beside the executables for CP/M. I was hoping to find one for the Basic in Rom, either Altair Basic or something else. I thought there was one in the Creative Computing software list.

        Then I can have the Kaypro II running Zork in CP/M and the IMSAI running Adventure using the Basic Rom for the Get Lamp screening.

        Anyone know if there's one that exists ?

        =Dan

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2010
          I have a trs 80 adventure, but I have to check to see if it's machine lang
          or basic. I have pdp 8 lunar lander

          Bill Degnan

          > > That's a very good idea! I agree. One cool thing about Adventure! on
          the
          > > PDP 8 is that each time a response is entered into the computer, the
          lights
          > > blink as the answer is generated. Very cool. I did not make a PDP 8
          video
          > > of any depth yet, but I want to document this effect and put it up on
          > > youtube asap.
          > >

          > yea, that's was also cool about running Lunar Lander, all that math
          really
          > make the lights flicker.
          >
          > But It just noticed from looking thru my list,
          > I don't have a version of Adventure in Basic, just Fortran and C, beside
          the
          > executables for CP/M. I was hoping to find one for the Basic in Rom,
          either
          > Altair Basic or something else. I thought there was one in the Creative
          > Computing software list.
          >
          > Then I can have the Kaypro II running Zork in CP/M and the IMSAI running
          > Adventure using the Basic Rom for the Get Lamp screening.
          >
          > Anyone know if there's one that exists ?
          >
          > =Dan
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 2, 2010

            On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            I have a trs 80 adventure, but I have to check to see if it's machine lang
            or basic.  I have pdp 8 lunar lander

            I found a bunch of links related to and about Adventure last night while whacking thru the google jungle. There's a bunch of ports to various systems, mostly executables, some have original source code, only a couple are in BASIC There's one in C64 Basic. I should be able to convert that back to Imsai Basic.

            I pasted all of them in here, http://tinyurl.com/2bq3l9e

            you should bring the PDP-8 to his screening in Univ.MD
            ....do I hear grumbling noises[?]
            http://getlamp.com/jetlamp/

            =Dan

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 2, 2010
              Bill Degnan

              > > I have a trs 80 adventure, but I have to check to see if it's machine
              lang
              > > or basic. I have pdp 8 lunar lander
              > >

              > I found a bunch of links related to and about Adventure last night while
              > whacking thru the google jungle. There's a bunch of ports to various
              > systems, mostly executables, some have original source code, only a
              couple
              > are in BASIC There's one in C64 Basic. I should be able to convert that
              back
              > to Imsai Basic.
              >
              > I pasted all of them in here, http://tinyurl.com/2bq3l9e
              >
              > you should bring the PDP-8 to his screening in Univ.MD
              > ....do I hear grumbling noises[?]
              > http://getlamp.com/jetlamp/
              >
              > =Dan

              I hope a video will suffice
            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 2, 2010
                Anyone think this is interesting enough to display at the Maker Faire?

                http://www.glitchwrks.com/8085projects/index.html

                Not strictly vintage since the board was designed in April and produced last month, but it uses mostly vintage technology in a modern project.

                Thanks,

                Jonathan
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                  I think the basic approach is trying to take some part of the vintage computing world and applying a new/modern App (hardware and/or software) to this to demonstrate how practical it can be still. This would be an attractive display.

                  I'm bringing a C64 with the Ethernet cartridge to demonstrate how it can surf online and send tweets over Twitter.

                  For the hardware hackers,(like me too) perhaps even this one, this is taking the reverse approach, using new hardware to emulate old hardware. But this one is too cool.

                  CP/M on AVR micro (page#'s are on the right)
                  http://spritesmods.com/?art=avrcpm&page=1

                  It's a complete CP/M system using only 2 chips, with a SD card Flash drive
                  You could put this in a Altoids tin can(common hacker project case) and using a serial terminal.

                  I'm not sure why they didn't put a ps/2 kybd patch in there - but then you would need another patch in there to output a vga signal - he probably wasn't interested at the moment.

                  I like to build this myself,
                  =Dan

                  On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
                  Anyone think this is interesting enough to display at the Maker Faire?

                  http://www.glitchwrks.com/8085projects/index.html

                  Not strictly vintage since the board was designed in April and produced last month, but it uses mostly vintage technology in a modern project.

                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                    Dan,

                    Besides the PSX64 with Shedz64, I was considering bringing other new C64 hardware. Like the C64Nic+ (ethernet card), uIEC/SD (flash drive), EasyFlash (multiple ROM cartridges in flash memory). I won't get there until Saturday night, so you should bring your stuff to show first. Which C64 Ethernet cart are you brining ? And how will you connect to internet there ? I wasn't sure if they had some jacks for that there.

                    I was considering putting my uIEC into an Altoids can. Have you done this before ? I would be curious how it was done so that I wouldn't be reinventing the wheel. Specifically measurements, tools used, parts needed. Also for uIEC there was a simple hack to allow pushing a button to advance through disk images (found in text file). Perhaps you can help me with that project when we are there.

                    Jeff B

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                      On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                      Dan,

                      Besides the PSX64 with Shedz64, I was considering bringing other new C64 hardware. Like the C64Nic+ (ethernet card), uIEC/SD (flash drive), EasyFlash (multiple ROM cartridges in flash memory). I won't get there until Saturday night, so you should bring your stuff to show first. Which C64 Ethernet cart are you brining ? And how will you connect to internet there ? I wasn't sure if they had some jacks for that there.

                      I will be there both days. I have the C64NIC+ ethernet cartridge too. I'm not sure whether they have a Lan there, but they do have WiFi from what I heard. I think Evan mentioned it on here already. So I'm trying to get the laptop ready as a WiFi gateway with a crossover cat5 cable to get online. I can test it here at home first to make sure it works.

                      I was considering putting my uIEC into an Altoids can. Have you done this before ? I would be curious how it was done so that I wouldn't be reinventing the wheel. Specifically measurements, tools used, parts needed. Also for uIEC there was a simple hack to allow pushing a button to advance through disk images (found in text file). Perhaps you can help me with that project when we are there.

                      I haven't used the uIEC, but as with any hack project, you have to use some ingenuity to mount inside the Altoids can, so elbow grease, patience, etc. There might be somebody that posted this method online already. But I'll be glad to help.

                      =Dan

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                        Is anyone interested in an Apple LISA or two?
                        I have a friend who is moving and has to dispose of same.  I have not had
                        the opportunity of finding out yet if the things still work though red
                        marker on the bodies of them indicate that they did function to some
                        degree when last turned on.
                        If anyone shows an interest, I'll collect them, test them and make
                        arrangements for them to be picked up.  I live in Delaware County, PA.
                        bs

                        .

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                          MARCH is!!! We don't have any.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                            I would LOVE one too.  I am in DELCO also.

                            Greg

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                              Working or not I am still interested.

                              Greg

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                                    <moderation -- I approved this post, but it's hard to take seriously -- evan k.>

                                    ------------

                                    Hello,

                                    I have a BIG interest on these Lisas!!!! In fact, Lisa II will complete my apple collection (missing TAM and more 2 models).

                                    Now, I living in Brazil, but, I still have an address in Sarasota, FL.

                                    I am working on a project to open a museum in Sao Paulo (Brazil) in mid of 2012. And my collection will be donated to the museum.

                                    Please, let me know what I can do put my hands on the Lisa!

                                    Thanks,
                                    Rilker-

                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

                                    > Is anyone interested in an Apple LISA or two?
                                    > I have a friend who is moving and has to dispose of same.  I have not had
                                    > the opportunity of finding out yet if the things still work though red
                                    > marker on the bodies of them indicate that they did function to some
                                    > degree when last turned on.
                                    > If anyone shows an interest, I'll collect them, test them and make
                                    > arrangements for them to be picked up.  I live in Delaware County, PA.
                                    > bs

                                    > .

                                  • Bob Schwier
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                                      I will get back to you when I have them in my possession.
                                      bs

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 3, 2010
                                        if still available, I'm interested too !

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 4, 2010
                                          I almost bought one on ebay, they have been coming down in price.
                                          Even with 66 watchers this went for $515.00

                                          http://cgi.ebay.com/280552406641
                                        • Bob Schwier
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 4, 2010
                                            On my porch are two machines, a power supply, a hard drive (5 1/4 full), books on
                                            using accompanying software and one mouse.  Note, no keyboard.  One machine
                                            seems to have been working when it was originally laid up and the other seems
                                            to have had a bad floppy drive and one bad slot according to what is written on
                                            the case.
                                            Unfortunately, there is no appropriate keyboard.  John says he will look for it but
                                            I'm not holding my breath.
                                            bs

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 5, 2010
                                              Patience everyone, I'm hoping that he finds other LISA stuff before putting the package
                                              together.
                                              His move will not be complete until Sunday Sept 12.
                                              bs

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 5, 2010

                                                ... Waiting with worms on tongue [baited breath]...

                                                Greg

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 5, 2010
                                                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                                                  > Follow the GET LAMP Screening Tour
                                                  > http://www.getlamp.com/jetlamp/
                                                  > There's supposed to be more dates being added as he goes along.
                                                  > Maybe you can get him scheduled for VCF 7.0, his schedule shouldn't be too
                                                  > crowded by then :)
                                                  >
                                                  > He will be in Brooklyn Oct.7th at the Alpha One Labs hackerspace
                                                  >
                                                  > He's going to be here in Pittsburgh on Oct.4th at CMU.
                                                  > I was going to bring something running Adventure or Zork.

                                                  A CP/M system will run classic Adventure.

                                                  Dan (or whoever contacts the GET LAMP person), you might pass along an FYI about the guy who exhibited at TCF this year about "MegaWars". That's apparently a multiplayer on-line game on Compuserve in the 80's and 90's.

                                                  I don't have the exhibitor's name but he had a booth in the TCNJ Student Center at the time. Booth photos show "try it at megawarsiii.com" (or MEGAWARSIII.COM). No info about
                                                  exhibitors on the TCF Web site. I spoke to him and he seemed knowledgeable about the game's history, he was working to revive it. The Web site, or contacts with TCF, may get more info.

                                                  Herb Johnson
                                                  emerging from the basement at retrotechnology.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 5, 2010
                                                    > FYI about the guy who exhibited at TCF this year about "MegaWars". That's apparently a multiplayer on-line game on Compuserve in the 80's and 90's.
                                                    >
                                                    > I don't have the exhibitor's name but he had a booth in the TCNJ Student Center at the time. Booth photos show "try it at megawarsiii.com" (or MEGAWARSIII.COM)

                                                    A good tip -- thank you.

                                                    More important: welcome back.
                                                  • Bill Dromgoole
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 5, 2010

                                                       For more information on the "worms" see http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

                                                      Cruel Clever Cat:

                                                      Sally, having swallowed cheese,
                                                      Directs down holes the scented breeze,
                                                      Enticing thus with baited breath
                                                      Nice mice to an untimely death.

                                                      BillDrom

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 6, 2010
                                                        On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM, S100DOCTOR
                                                        A CP/M system will run classic Adventure.
                                                        [snip]

                                                        DOCTOR, DOCTOR, pleeeasseee
                                                        OOOhhh, the mess I'm in !

                                                        DOCTOR, DOCTOR, pleeeasseee