Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

      Jim

      On 8/29/2010 5:15 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > IBM? Interdata? RCA?
      Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

      Peace... Sridhar

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
        and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

        Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
        has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
        includes companies from all over the world.

        However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
        mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
        museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
        various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
        etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
        companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
            What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
            right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

            > Electro-Atomic Products
            > 25 Old State Rd
            > New Milford CT 06776
            > Netronics R&D Ltd
            > 333 Litchfield Rd
            > New Milford CT 06776

            Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
            flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
            http://netronicsresearch.com
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

            Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
            disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
            sometimes is an antique dealer.

            Jim

            Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
            >
            > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
            > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
            > includes companies from all over the world.
            >
            > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
            > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
            > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
            > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
            > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
            > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
              I can't find a trace of

              Computer Data Systems
              5460 Fairmount Dr
              Wilmington DE 19808

              I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

              Bill

              Bill Degnan

              MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

              > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

              > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
              1973.

              > > Electro-Atomic Products
              > > 25 Old State Rd
              > > New Milford CT 06776
              > > Netronics R&D Ltd
              > > 333 Litchfield Rd
              > > New Milford CT 06776
              >
              > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
              > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
              > http://netronicsresearch.com
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
              >
              > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
              > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
              > sometimes is an antique dealer.
              >
              > Jim

              > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
              > >
              > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
              It
              > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
              > > includes companies from all over the world.
              > >
              > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
              > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
              > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
              > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
              > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
              > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                No need:

                http://www.supplychain.com/

                On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                > I can't find a trace of
                >
                > Computer Data Systems
                > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                > Wilmington DE 19808
                >
                > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > Bill Degnan

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                  I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                  box...

                  Bill Degnan

                  MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                  > No need:
                  >
                  > http://www.supplychain.com/
                  >
                  > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                  >
                  > > I can't find a trace of
                  > >
                  > > Computer Data Systems
                  > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                  > > Wilmington DE 19808
                  > >
                  > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > Bill Degnan

                • Bill Dromgoole
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                    Check it out.
                    Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                    Bill Dromgoole
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                      Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                      > Check it out.
                      > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                      >
                      > Bill Dromgoole

                      Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                      bd