Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      B Degnan wrote:
      > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
      > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
      > listed.

      IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it's Armonk, NY,
      but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I'm not mistaken, even
      earlier, it was Endicott, NY.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

        Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
            >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
            and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

            Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
            has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
            includes companies from all over the world.

            However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
            mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
            museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
            various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
            etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
            companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

                > Electro-Atomic Products
                > 25 Old State Rd
                > New Milford CT 06776
                > Netronics R&D Ltd
                > 333 Litchfield Rd
                > New Milford CT 06776

                Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                http://netronicsresearch.com
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

                Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                sometimes is an antique dealer.

                Jim

                Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                >
                > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                > includes companies from all over the world.
                >
                > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                  I can't find a trace of

                  Computer Data Systems
                  5460 Fairmount Dr
                  Wilmington DE 19808

                  I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

                  Bill

                  Bill Degnan

                  MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                  > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

                  > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                  1973.

                  > > Electro-Atomic Products
                  > > 25 Old State Rd
                  > > New Milford CT 06776
                  > > Netronics R&D Ltd
                  > > 333 Litchfield Rd
                  > > New Milford CT 06776
                  >
                  > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                  > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                  > http://netronicsresearch.com
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                  >
                  > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                  > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                  > sometimes is an antique dealer.
                  >
                  > Jim

                  > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                  > >
                  > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                  It
                  > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                  > > includes companies from all over the world.
                  > >
                  > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                  > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                  > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                  > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                  > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                  > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                    No need:

                    http://www.supplychain.com/

                    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                    > I can't find a trace of
                    >
                    > Computer Data Systems
                    > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                    > Wilmington DE 19808
                    >
                    > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > Bill Degnan

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                      I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                      box...

                      Bill Degnan

                      MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                      > No need:
                      >
                      > http://www.supplychain.com/
                      >
                      > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                      >
                      > > I can't find a trace of
                      > >
                      > > Computer Data Systems
                      > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                      > > Wilmington DE 19808
                      > >
                      > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                      > >
                      > > Bill
                      > >
                      > > Bill Degnan

                    • Bill Dromgoole
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                        Check it out.
                        Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                        Bill Dromgoole
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                          Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                          > Check it out.
                          > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                          > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                          >
                          > Bill Dromgoole

                          Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                          bd