Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      I am just reporting what I found in an article. This is a micocomputing
      mag so I take it they left out the manuacturers of non micros as they saw
      it.

      we are the midatlantic retro, no new england.

      As far as CT goes, I looked the map and made the call as to miles from NYC;
      same with Virginia and Maryland, If they were too far west I did not
      include them. The complete article with all manufacturers is on my web
      site.

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        B Degnan wrote:
        > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
        > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
        > listed.

        IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it's Armonk, NY,
        but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I'm not mistaken, even
        earlier, it was Endicott, NY.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

          Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
            I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
              >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
              and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

              Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
              has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
              includes companies from all over the world.

              However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
              mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
              museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
              various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
              etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
              companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                  What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                  right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

                  > Electro-Atomic Products
                  > 25 Old State Rd
                  > New Milford CT 06776
                  > Netronics R&D Ltd
                  > 333 Litchfield Rd
                  > New Milford CT 06776

                  Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                  flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                  http://netronicsresearch.com
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

                  Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                  disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                  sometimes is an antique dealer.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                    I can't find a trace of

                    Computer Data Systems
                    5460 Fairmount Dr
                    Wilmington DE 19808

                    I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

                    Bill

                    Bill Degnan

                    MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                    > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

                    > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                    1973.

                    > > Electro-Atomic Products
                    > > 25 Old State Rd
                    > > New Milford CT 06776
                    > > Netronics R&D Ltd
                    > > 333 Litchfield Rd
                    > > New Milford CT 06776
                    >
                    > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                    > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                    > http://netronicsresearch.com
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                    >
                    > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                    > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                    > sometimes is an antique dealer.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                    > >
                    > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                    It
                    > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                    > > includes companies from all over the world.
                    > >
                    > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                    > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                    > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                    > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                    > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                    > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                      No need:

                      http://www.supplychain.com/

                      On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                      > I can't find a trace of
                      >
                      > Computer Data Systems
                      > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                      > Wilmington DE 19808
                      >
                      > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > Bill Degnan

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                        I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                        box...

                        Bill Degnan

                        MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                        > No need:
                        >
                        > http://www.supplychain.com/
                        >
                        > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                        >
                        > > I can't find a trace of
                        > >
                        > > Computer Data Systems
                        > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                        > > Wilmington DE 19808
                        > >
                        > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                        > >
                        > > Bill
                        > >
                        > > Bill Degnan

                      • Bill Dromgoole
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                          Check it out.
                          Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                          Bill Dromgoole
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                            Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                            > Check it out.
                            > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                            > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                            >
                            > Bill Dromgoole

                            Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                            bd