Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

Expand Messages
  • Evan Koblentz
    Then you shouldn t include CT companies either. CT is New England. Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC. Interdata was still there, just
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England. Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.

      Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:59:28
      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Reply-To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

      Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
      headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
      listed.
      bd


      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > IBM? Interdata? RCA?
      >
      > -----Original Message-----
      > From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
      > Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:42:24
      > To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      > Reply-To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
      >
      > MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
      >
      > APF Electronics Inc
      > 444 Madison Av
      > New York NY 10022
      >
      > CGRS Microtech
      > POB 368
      > Southampton PA 18966
      >
      > Computer Data Systems
      > 5460 Fairmount Dr
      > Wilmington DE 19808
      >
      > E & L Instruments Inc
      > 61 First St
      > Derby CT 06418
      >
      > Electro-Atomic Products
      > 25 Old State Rd
      > New Milford CT 06776
      >
      > Electronic Control Technology
      > 763 Ramsey Av
      > Hillside NJ 07205
      >
      > Modern Microcomputers
      > 290 Linden Av
      > Westbury NY 11590
      >
      > Netronics R&D Ltd
      > 333 Litchfield Rd
      > New Milford CT 06776
      >
      > Technico
      > 9130 Red Branch Rd
      > Columbia MD 21045
      >
      > Quay Corp
      > POB 386
      > Freehold NJ 07728
      >
      > RDA Inc
      > 5012 Herzel Pl.
      > Beltsville MD 20705
      >
      > RCA Corp
      > Solid State Division
      > Route 202
      > Somerville NJ 08876
      >
      > Xitan Inc
      > POB 3087
      > 1101-H State Rd
      > Princeton NJ 08540
      >
      > NOTE: Commodore was listed as a California-based company
      > Commodore Business Machines Inc
      > 901 California Av
      > Palo Alto CA 94304
      >
      > -source onComputing Summer 1979
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >




      ------------------------------------

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Dan Roganti
      ... I see this list would be the current list of companies at that date. Since several companies in this region faded away before the decade was out, it would
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England. Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.

        Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>

        Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979.  IBM is not
        headquartered in the MidAtlantic.  Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
        listed.
        bd


        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > IBM? Interdata? RCA?
        >



        I see this list would be the current list of companies at that date.
        Since several companies in this region faded away before the decade was out, it would be nice to see an comprehensive list thru the end of the 70's, including Scelbi in CT, and Techniques, NJ (Mark-8)

        I don't know why you wouldn't include NE states, there's no reason to discriminate here. More people from the east coast would be visiting as the museum grows, so it can be all the better to encompass the region.
        We're all on the same East Coast :)


        =Dan
        --http://www.vintagecomputer.net/ragooman/



      • Bill Degnan
        I am just reporting what I found in an article. This is a micocomputing mag so I take it they left out the manuacturers of non micros as they saw it. we are
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          I am just reporting what I found in an article. This is a micocomputing
          mag so I take it they left out the manuacturers of non micros as they saw
          it.

          we are the midatlantic retro, no new england.

          As far as CT goes, I looked the map and made the call as to miles from NYC;
          same with Virginia and Maryland, If they were too far west I did not
          include them. The complete article with all manufacturers is on my web
          site.

          Bill Degnan

          -------- Original Message --------
          > From: "Dan Roganti" <ragooman@...>
          > Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:58 AM
          > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late
          70's
          >
          > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England.
          > > Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.
          > >
          > > Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.
          > >
          > > -----Original Message-----
          > > From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
          > >
          > > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
          > > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
          > > listed.
          > > bd
          > >
          > >
          > > Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > > > IBM? Interdata? RCA?
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          > I see this list would be the current list of companies at that date.
          > Since several companies in this region faded away before the decade was
          out,
          > it would be nice to see an comprehensive list thru the end of the 70's,
          > including Scelbi in CT, and Techniques, NJ (Mark-8)
          >
          > I don't know why you wouldn't include NE states, there's no reason to
          > discriminate here. More people from the east coast would be visiting as
          the
          > museum grows, so it can be all the better to encompass the region.
          > We're all on the same East Coast :)
          >
          >
          > =Dan
          > --http://www.vintagecomputer.net/ragooman/
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          ... IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it s Armonk, NY, but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I m not mistaken, even earlier, it was
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            B Degnan wrote:
            > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
            > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
            > listed.

            IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it's Armonk, NY,
            but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I'm not mistaken, even
            earlier, it was Endicott, NY.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            ... Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer? Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

              Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Jim Scheef
              I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what s the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                Jim

                On 8/29/2010 5:15 PM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                 

                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > IBM? Interdata? RCA?
                g
                Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

                Peace... Sridhar

              • Evan Koblentz
                ... and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club s location. Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It has nothing
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                  and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                  Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                  has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                  includes companies from all over the world.

                  However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                  mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                  museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                  various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                  etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                  companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                • Jim Scheef
                  ... mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the museum. For example, we ll tell visitors, Look for the (XYZ) sign on various
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    >>
                    However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                    mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                    museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                    various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                    etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                    companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                  • Jim Scheef
                    What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973. ...
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                      right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

                      > Electro-Atomic Products
                      > 25 Old State Rd
                      > New Milford CT 06776
                      ...
                      > Netronics R&D Ltd
                      > 333 Litchfield Rd
                      > New Milford CT 06776

                      Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                      flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                      http://netronicsresearch.com
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

                      Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                      disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                      sometimes is an antique dealer.

                      Jim

                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      > >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                      > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                      >
                      > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                      > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                      > includes companies from all over the world.
                      >
                      > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                      > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                      > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                      > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                      > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                      > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                      >
                      >
                    • Bill Degnan
                      I can t find a trace of Computer Data Systems 5460 Fairmount Dr Wilmington DE 19808 I think I will put it in my GPS, see who s there. Bill Bill Degnan ...
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I can't find a trace of

                        Computer Data Systems
                        5460 Fairmount Dr
                        Wilmington DE 19808

                        I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

                        Bill

                        Bill Degnan

                        -------- Original Message --------
                        > From: "Jim Scheef" <scheefj@...>
                        > Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 1:34 PM
                        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Really local computer makers - was
                        MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
                        >
                        > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

                        > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                        1973.
                        >
                        > > Electro-Atomic Products
                        > > 25 Old State Rd
                        > > New Milford CT 06776
                        > ...
                        > > Netronics R&D Ltd
                        > > 333 Litchfield Rd
                        > > New Milford CT 06776
                        >
                        > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                        > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                        > http://netronicsresearch.com
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                        >
                        > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                        > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                        > sometimes is an antique dealer.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > >
                        > >
                        > > >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                        > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                        > >
                        > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                        It
                        > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                        > > includes companies from all over the world.
                        > >
                        > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                        > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                        > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                        > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                        > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                        > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                        > >
                        > >
                        >
                        >
                        > ------------------------------------
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        >
                        >
                      • Mike Loewen
                        No need: http://www.supplychain.com/ ... Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                        • 0 Attachment
                          No need:

                          http://www.supplychain.com/

                          On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                          > I can't find a trace of
                          >
                          > Computer Data Systems
                          > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                          > Wilmington DE 19808
                          >
                          > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                          >
                          > Bill
                          >
                          > Bill Degnan
                          >
                          > -------- Original Message --------
                          >> From: "Jim Scheef" <scheefj@...>
                          >> Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 1:34 PM
                          >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          >> Subject: [midatlanticretro] Really local computer makers - was
                          > MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
                          >>
                          >> What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                          >
                          >> right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                          > 1973.
                          >>
                          >> > Electro-Atomic Products
                          >> > 25 Old State Rd
                          >> > New Milford CT 06776
                          >> ...
                          >> > Netronics R&D Ltd
                          >> > 333 Litchfield Rd
                          >> > New Milford CT 06776
                          >>
                          >> Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                          >> flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                          >> http://netronicsresearch.com
                          >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                          >>
                          >> Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                          >> disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                          >> sometimes is an antique dealer.
                          >>
                          >> Jim
                          >>
                          >> Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>> >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                          >>> and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                          >>>
                          >>> Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                          > It
                          >>> has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                          >>> includes companies from all over the world.
                          >>>
                          >>> However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                          >>> mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                          >>> museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                          >>> various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                          >>> etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                          >>> companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>
                          >>
                          >> ------------------------------------
                          >>
                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >>
                          >>
                          >>
                          >
                          >

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                        • Bill Degnan
                          I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old box... Bill Degnan ... MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70 s ... manufacturers ...
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                            box...

                            Bill Degnan

                            -------- Original Message --------
                            > From: "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...>
                            > Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 2:50 PM
                            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: re: [midatlanticretro] Really local computer makers - was
                            MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
                            >
                            > No need:
                            >
                            > http://www.supplychain.com/
                            >
                            > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                            >
                            > > I can't find a trace of
                            > >
                            > > Computer Data Systems
                            > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                            > > Wilmington DE 19808
                            > >
                            > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                            > >
                            > > Bill
                            > >
                            > > Bill Degnan
                            > >
                            > > -------- Original Message --------
                            > >> From: "Jim Scheef" <scheefj@...>
                            > >> Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 1:34 PM
                            > >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > >> Subject: [midatlanticretro] Really local computer makers - was
                            > > MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's
                            > >>
                            > >> What I really find amazing is that there were two computer
                            manufacturers
                            > >
                            > >> right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                            > > 1973.
                            > >>
                            > >> > Electro-Atomic Products
                            > >> > 25 Old State Rd
                            > >> > New Milford CT 06776
                            > >> ...
                            > >> > Netronics R&D Ltd
                            > >> > 333 Litchfield Rd
                            > >> > New Milford CT 06776
                            > >>
                            > >> Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the
                            crow
                            > >> flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                            > >> http://netronicsresearch.com
                            > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                            > >>
                            > >> Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to
                            have
                            > >> disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                            > >> sometimes is an antique dealer.
                            > >>
                            > >> Jim
                            > >>
                            > >> Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            > >>>
                            > >>>
                            > >>> >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with
                            CT
                            > >>> and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's
                            location.
                            > >>>
                            > >>> Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                            > > It
                            > >>> has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                            > >>> includes companies from all over the world.
                            > >>>
                            > >>> However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                            > >>> mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in
                            the
                            > >>> museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign
                            on
                            > >>> various displays, which indicates that company was from around
                            here,"
                            > >>> etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of
                            local
                            > >>> companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.
                            > >>>
                            > >>>
                            > >>
                            > >>
                            > >> ------------------------------------
                            > >>
                            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >>
                            > >>
                            > >>
                            > >
                            > >
                            >
                            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                            >
                            >
                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >
                            >
                            >
                          • Bill Dromgoole
                            Check it out. Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm Bill Dromgoole
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Check it out.
                              Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                              Bill Dromgoole
                            • B Degnan
                              ... Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing bd
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                                > Check it out.
                                > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                                > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                                >
                                > Bill Dromgoole
                                >
                                >
                                Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                                bd
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.