Re: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      IBM? Interdata? RCA?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:42:24
      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

      MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

      APF Electronics Inc
      444 Madison Av
      New York NY 10022

      CGRS Microtech
      POB 368
      Southampton PA 18966

      Computer Data Systems
      5460 Fairmount Dr
      Wilmington DE 19808

      E & L Instruments Inc
      61 First St
      Derby CT 06418

      Electro-Atomic Products
      25 Old State Rd
      New Milford CT 06776

      Electronic Control Technology
      763 Ramsey Av
      Hillside NJ 07205

      Modern Microcomputers
      290 Linden Av
      Westbury NY 11590

      Netronics R&D Ltd
      333 Litchfield Rd
      New Milford CT 06776

      Technico
      9130 Red Branch Rd
      Columbia MD 21045

      Quay Corp
      POB 386
      Freehold NJ 07728

      RDA Inc
      5012 Herzel Pl.
      Beltsville MD 20705

      RCA Corp
      Solid State Division
      Route 202
      Somerville NJ 08876

      Xitan Inc
      POB 3087
      1101-H State Rd
      Princeton NJ 08540

      NOTE: Commodore was listed as a California-based company
      Commodore Business Machines Inc
      901 California Av
      Palo Alto CA 94304

      -source onComputing Summer 1979

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
        headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
        listed.
        bd

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England. Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.

          Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
              I am just reporting what I found in an article. This is a micocomputing
              mag so I take it they left out the manuacturers of non micros as they saw
              it.

              we are the midatlantic retro, no new england.

              As far as CT goes, I looked the map and made the call as to miles from NYC;
              same with Virginia and Maryland, If they were too far west I did not
              include them. The complete article with all manufacturers is on my web
              site.

              Bill Degnan

              > > Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England.
              > > Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.
              > >
              > > Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                B Degnan wrote:
                > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
                > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
                > listed.

                IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it's Armonk, NY,
                but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I'm not mistaken, even
                earlier, it was Endicott, NY.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

                  Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                    I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                      >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                      and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                      Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                      has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                      includes companies from all over the world.

                      However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                      mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                      museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                      various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                      etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                      companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                          What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                          right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

                          > Electro-Atomic Products
                          > 25 Old State Rd
                          > New Milford CT 06776
                          > Netronics R&D Ltd
                          > 333 Litchfield Rd
                          > New Milford CT 06776

                          Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                          flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                          http://netronicsresearch.com
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

                          Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                          disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                          sometimes is an antique dealer.

                          Jim

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:

                          > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                          >
                          > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                          > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                          > includes companies from all over the world.
                          >
                          > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                          > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                          > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                          > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                          > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                          > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                            I can't find a trace of

                            Computer Data Systems
                            5460 Fairmount Dr
                            Wilmington DE 19808

                            I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

                            Bill

                            Bill Degnan

                            MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                            > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

                            > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                            1973.

                            > > Electro-Atomic Products
                            > > 25 Old State Rd
                            > > New Milford CT 06776
                            > > Netronics R&D Ltd
                            > > 333 Litchfield Rd
                            > > New Milford CT 06776
                            >
                            > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                            > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                            > http://netronicsresearch.com
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                            >
                            > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                            > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                            > sometimes is an antique dealer.
                            >
                            > Jim

                            > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                            > >
                            > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                            It
                            > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                            > > includes companies from all over the world.
                            > >
                            > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                            > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                            > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                            > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                            > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                            > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                              No need:

                              http://www.supplychain.com/

                              On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                              > I can't find a trace of
                              >
                              > Computer Data Systems
                              > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                              > Wilmington DE 19808
                              >
                              > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                              >
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > Bill Degnan

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Bill Degnan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                                box...

                                Bill Degnan

                                MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                                > No need:
                                >
                                > http://www.supplychain.com/
                                >
                                > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                                >
                                > > I can't find a trace of
                                > >
                                > > Computer Data Systems
                                > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                                > > Wilmington DE 19808
                                > >
                                > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                                > >
                                > > Bill
                                > >
                                > > Bill Degnan

                              • Bill Dromgoole
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                  Check it out.
                                  Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                                  Bill Dromgoole
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                    Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                                    > Check it out.
                                    > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                                    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                                    >
                                    > Bill Dromgoole

                                    Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                                    bd