MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
      MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

      APF Electronics Inc
      444 Madison Av
      New York NY 10022

      CGRS Microtech
      POB 368
      Southampton PA 18966

      Computer Data Systems
      5460 Fairmount Dr
      Wilmington DE 19808

      E & L Instruments Inc
      61 First St
      Derby CT 06418

      Electro-Atomic Products
      25 Old State Rd
      New Milford CT 06776

      Electronic Control Technology
      763 Ramsey Av
      Hillside NJ 07205

      Modern Microcomputers
      290 Linden Av
      Westbury NY 11590

      Netronics R&D Ltd
      333 Litchfield Rd
      New Milford CT 06776

      Technico
      9130 Red Branch Rd
      Columbia MD 21045

      Quay Corp
      POB 386
      Freehold NJ 07728

      RDA Inc
      5012 Herzel Pl.
      Beltsville MD 20705

      RCA Corp
      Solid State Division
      Route 202
      Somerville NJ 08876

      Xitan Inc
      POB 3087
      1101-H State Rd
      Princeton NJ 08540

      NOTE: Commodore was listed as a California-based company
      Commodore Business Machines Inc
      901 California Av
      Palo Alto CA 94304

      -source onComputing Summer 1979
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
        IBM? Interdata? RCA?

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
          Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
          headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
          listed.
          bd

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
            Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England. Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.

            Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                I am just reporting what I found in an article. This is a micocomputing
                mag so I take it they left out the manuacturers of non micros as they saw
                it.

                we are the midatlantic retro, no new england.

                As far as CT goes, I looked the map and made the call as to miles from NYC;
                same with Virginia and Maryland, If they were too far west I did not
                include them. The complete article with all manufacturers is on my web
                site.

                Bill Degnan

                > > Then you shouldn't include CT companies either. CT is New England.
                > > Mid-Atlantic is greater NYC, NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, DC.
                > >
                > > Interdata was still there, just called Perkin-Elmer.

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                  B Degnan wrote:
                  > Not listed in my source, onComputing, Summer 1979. IBM is not
                  > headquartered in the MidAtlantic. Interdata was gone by then, RCA is
                  > listed.

                  IBM *is* headquartered in the Mid-Atlantic. Right now it's Armonk, NY,
                  but at the time, it was New York, NY. If I'm not mistaken, even
                  earlier, it was Endicott, NY.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > IBM? Interdata? RCA?

                    Depending on where you draw the border, Perkin-Elmer?

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                      I guess Coleco was not yet making computers in 1979. Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 29, 2010
                        >>> Within MARCH we include DEC in Mass so what's the problem with CT
                        and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.

                        Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                        has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                        includes companies from all over the world.

                        However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                        mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                        museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                        various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                        etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                        companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                            What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers
                            right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since 1973.

                            > Electro-Atomic Products
                            > 25 Old State Rd
                            > New Milford CT 06776
                            > Netronics R&D Ltd
                            > 333 Litchfield Rd
                            > New Milford CT 06776

                            Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                            flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                            http://netronicsresearch.com
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85

                            Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                            disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                            sometimes is an antique dealer.

                            Jim

                            Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                            >
                            > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region. It
                            > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                            > includes companies from all over the world.
                            >
                            > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                            > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                            > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                            > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                            > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                            > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                              I can't find a trace of

                              Computer Data Systems
                              5460 Fairmount Dr
                              Wilmington DE 19808

                              I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.

                              Bill

                              Bill Degnan

                              MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                              > What I really find amazing is that there were two computer manufacturers

                              > right here in New Milford (CT, not Jersey) where I have lived since
                              1973.

                              > > Electro-Atomic Products
                              > > 25 Old State Rd
                              > > New Milford CT 06776
                              > > Netronics R&D Ltd
                              > > 333 Litchfield Rd
                              > > New Milford CT 06776
                              >
                              > Netronics still exists at the same location - about a mile as the crow
                              > flies from my house, although they do not make computers.
                              > http://netronicsresearch.com
                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer/85
                              >
                              > Time has been less kind to Electro-Atomic Products which seems to have
                              > disappeared without a trace. That location is an old house that
                              > sometimes is an antique dealer.
                              >
                              > Jim

                              > > and NY? I thought the midatlantic part was about the club's location.
                              > >
                              > > Bill was merely sharing a list of companies in that specific region.
                              It
                              > > has nothing to do with what's in our club collection. Our collection
                              > > includes companies from all over the world.
                              > >
                              > > However there are several benefits to familiarizing ourselves with
                              > > mid-Atlantic companies. It enables us to tag relevant exhibits in the
                              > > museum. For example, we'll tell visitors, "Look for the (XYZ) sign on
                              > > various displays, which indicates that company was from around here,"
                              > > etc. Another benefit is that we can target the former leaders of local
                              > > companies for VCF lectures, donations, historic archives, etc.

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                No need:

                                http://www.supplychain.com/

                                On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                                > I can't find a trace of
                                >
                                > Computer Data Systems
                                > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                                > Wilmington DE 19808
                                >
                                > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                                >
                                > Bill
                                >
                                > Bill Degnan

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Bill Degnan
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                  I called them and left a message. Maybe in the basement, in some old
                                  box...

                                  Bill Degnan

                                  MidAtlantic Computer Manufacturers late 70's

                                  > No need:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.supplychain.com/
                                  >
                                  > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I can't find a trace of
                                  > >
                                  > > Computer Data Systems
                                  > > 5460 Fairmount Dr
                                  > > Wilmington DE 19808
                                  > >
                                  > > I think I will put it in my GPS, see who's there.
                                  > >
                                  > > Bill
                                  > >
                                  > > Bill Degnan

                                • Bill Dromgoole
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                    Check it out.
                                    Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm

                                    Bill Dromgoole
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 30, 2010
                                      Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                                      > Check it out.
                                      > Retro computers on display at Bletchley Park VCF
                                      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8782344.stm
                                      >
                                      > Bill Dromgoole

                                      Thanks for the link, I was hoping to go, next best thing
                                      bd