Atari 2600 case

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
      Does anyone have a dead Atari 2600? Dead meaning dead..

      I just want the case..
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
        no, but I have a nintendo that my next door neighbor gave me that smells so
        much like cat urine you wish you were dead.

        Bill Degnan

        > Does anyone have a dead Atari 2600? Dead meaning dead..
        >
        > I just want the case..

      • Justin Jernigan
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
          Pull pcb out and put the case in the dishwasher, use santitize cycle if you have it and a small amount of soap - top rack - no heat dry, and that funk will be gone!  I have cleaned many 2600 cases that way.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
            put it in the basement to keep the mice away.

            Pull pcb out and put the case in the dishwasher, use santitize cycle if you have it and a small amount of soap - top rack - no heat dry, and that funk will be gone!  I have cleaned many 2600 cases that way.

            no, but I have a nintendo that my next door neighbor gave me that smells so
            much like cat urine you wish you were dead.

            Bill Degnan

            > Does anyone have a dead Atari 2600? Dead meaning dead..
            >
            > I just want the case..

          • Mr Ian Primus
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
              --- On Fri, 8/27/10, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have a dead Atari 2600?
              > Dead meaning dead..
              >
              > I just want the case..

              The Atari 2600 is pretty hard to kill. And when they actually do stop working, it's usually something stupid like the solder joints on the power switch, power connector or controller port. Occasionally you'll find a bad RIOT chip too.

              Which model 2600 are you looking for? If you're trying to find a replacement case, you'll need to find one that'll take the board you have. The 4 switch models are all interchangeable, but the early six switch models have a heavy cast aluminum housing around the board - that won't fit in a later case. And the Jr. model is it's own thing.

              -Ian
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                two good suggestions

                Bill Degnan

                > put it in the basement to keep the mice away.

              • madodel
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                  Dan Roganti wrote:

                  > I think you might want to sterilize in the Microwave too to get that
                  > funk out :)

                  Seriously, if it smells that bad do you really want to put it in the same
                  device you will be cooking food in? ;-)

                  Mark
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                      It's so bad that I wrapped it in a bag tightly, and put it on the top shelf
                      of the shed. I totally forgot about it, it violates my "policy" about
                      storing old computers and games. I guess I will try to wash it tonight.

                      Bill Degnan

                      > > I think you might want to sterilize in the Microwave too to get that
                      > > funk out :)
                      > >

                      > Seriously, if it smells that bad do you really want to put it in the same

                      > device you will be cooking food in? ;-)
                      >
                      > Mark

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                        On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:
                        Dan Roganti wrote:

                        > I think you might want to sterilize in the Microwave too to get that
                        > funk out :)

                        Seriously, if it smells that bad do you really want to put it in the same
                        device you will be cooking food in? ;-)

                        don't you have your personal hacker microwave :)  they're a dime dozen nowadays.
                        I think any sensible guy would suffer the wrath after abusing the family's kitchen appliances.

                        stick an eprom in there for some fun :)  [or a vacuum tube, light bulb, etc ]

                        =Dan

                      • Systems Glitch
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                          I've found leaving things out in the rain usually gets cat urine smell out. Having bought a house that was colonised by ferral cats, we've had a little experience!

                          Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...>