Stan Veit's death

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
      Yesterday, I discovered that Stan had died on July 29th. He lived a wonderful life, to the age of 90. His funeral was last Saturday, August 21st. I contacted Stan through CompuServe in late 1992, to tell him about an idea I had for a computer history club, and he was enthusiastic. In fact, he became my first "member," and the first subscriber to my newsletter. I had hopes of creating a non-profit organization, with the intention of also creating a museum, etc. Much like you at MARCH have in fact done. Jobs, moving, three kids later, etc., and my life has always gotten in the way.

      Anyway, it's ironic that I am just now starting down the path to create just such a group here in the Atlanta area, like you all have up there. I am going to dedicate it to Stan's memory, as he was a very real supporter. I even stayed at their (Stan and his wife Dede's) house one time! He gave me a number of old computers and mementos.

      I am going to try much harder to complete the audio version of Stan's book, which he so graciously gave me permission to do. It's a great book, one of my favorites, and more people should know about it.

      Here's a link to his obituary, and there is a place where you can leave a message, if you so choose - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/floridatoday/obituary.aspx?n=stanley-veit&pid=144676504

      Best,

      David Greelish, Computer Historian

      Classic Computing
      The Home of Computer History Nostalgia

      Classic Computing Show video podcast

      Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer audio book podcast

      http://www.classiccomputing.com

      Classic Computing Expo
      (planning / working towards . . . well, soon!)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
        On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:09 AM, David <dgreelish@...> wrote:

        Yesterday, I discovered that Stan had died on July 29th. He lived a wonderful life, to the age of 90. His funeral was last Saturday, August 21st. I contacted Stan through CompuServe in late 1992, to tell him about an idea I had for a computer history club
        [snip]

        I didn't know about this either, sorry to hear about this, it's sad, but I think he lived a *good* life.
        I can still remember going to his store, Computer Mart in Manhattan just like it was yesterday. That's where we bought our Altair 680b

        =Dan

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
          Coincidentally I this past weekend made a scan of an article that describes
          the history of the Computer Mart with Stan Veit and his wife Dede. I was
          doing research on MidAtlantic micro computing. Computer Mart opened the
          doors Feb 1976.

          http://vintagecomputer.net/cisc367/onComputing_1979Summer_ComputerMart.pdf

          Bill Degnan

          > > Yesterday, I discovered that Stan had died on July 29th. He lived a
          > > wonderful life, to the age of 90. His funeral was last Saturday,
          August
          > > 21st. I contacted Stan through CompuServe in late 1992, to tell him
          about an
          > > idea I had for a computer history club
          > > [snip]
          > >

          > I didn't know about this either, sorry to hear about this, it's sad, but
          > think he lived a *good* life.
          > I can still remember going to his store, Computer Mart in Manhattan just
          > like it was yesterday. That's where we bought our Altair 680b
          >
          > =Dan
        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
            "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            << Coincidentally I this past weekend made a scan of an article that describes the history of the Computer Mart with Stan Veit and his wife Dede. >>

            That is excellent! Thanks very much for this, I'll enjoy reading it, and what great pictures.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
              I remember this article too. I just couldn't remember what magazine it was published. The pictures are so familiar,  wasn't it in Computer Shopper too ?
              thanks for scanning this.

              =Dan

              On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, David <dgreelish@...> wrote:

              "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              << Coincidentally I this past weekend made a scan of an article that describes the history of the Computer Mart with Stan Veit and his wife Dede. >>

              That is excellent! Thanks very much for this, I'll enjoy reading it, and what great pictures.

              Best,

              David Greelish, Computer Historian

              Classic Computing
              The Home of Computer History Nostalgia

              Classic Computing Show video podcast

              Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer audio book podcast

              http://www.classiccomputing.com

              Classic Computing Expo
              (planning / working towards . . . well, soon!)

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
                My condolences to his family...

                Sad... We are going to see a lot more of this as time goes on...

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
                  David, thank you for sharing this.

                  I just checked his Facebook page.  Somehow I missed that wall update from last month.

                  I forwarded the news to cctalk.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                    His book is fascinating and a great read. It is largely a collection of his columns from Computer Shopper (which he started). Look on abebooks.com.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                      I have completed my blog article "Remembering Stan Veit" if anyone would like to learn more about him - http://www.classiccomputing.com/CC/Blog/Entries/2010/9/3_Stan_Veit.html

                      Also, the family has setup a memorial site for one year, and welcomes anyone to post a memory, if you knew him, or if you were simply influenced by his work / store, etc. - http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/StanVeit/Homepage.aspx

                      Thanks, David, http://www.classiccomputing.com