Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 26, 2010
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>>> I'll be there. Peace... Sridhar
      >
      > What can you bring?

      PDP-11/23 + VT340? Free parking makes it much easier.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 26, 2010
        --- On Thu, 8/26/10, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Chris, what might you bring to demo? Perhaps your RCA stuff because it was a kit.

        --- On Thu, 8/26/10, Christian writes:
        I was going to bring an Antipasti and some bottles of booze that I have. I don't drink but people keep giving me booze.

        I don't know what I would bring as a project since I don't have all that much.
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 26, 2010
          Yes, in fact I have been working on getting the equipment for the Shredz 64. I ordered the board and ordered an Guitar Hero guitar. I wanted to buy this for myself anyway. Should I also bring my C-64 setup ? Monitor, keyboard, drive, cables ?  I have to test my C64's because some of them seem to be flaking out. I will order a chip for one of them and it will be 100%.

          How much floor space to sleep will I have ?

          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          From: evan@...
          Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:45:20 +0000
          Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Maker Faire

          Jeff B.: I'm replying on-list because this supersedes your previous post re: Sunday only.

          For a C-64, can you set up Shredz 64? Or suggest some other interesting hacks? Other it doesn't have much of a "Maker" theme.

          I don't know if there will be enough floor space for an air bed. Probably, but in NY hotels one never knows.

          From: "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
          Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 01:03:45 -0400
          To: Evan Koblentz<evan@...>
          Subject: Maker Faire

          Evan,

          I checked my schedule. For some reason I originally thought it was on Sept 18, but that is the VCF midwest. So sign me up for free credentials and I will help wrangle in the people. Also I can share the room with you and Dan. I will bring my Air Bed. As for Basic. Perhaps I can bring a Commodore SX-64 ? I might compare mine and the MARCH one to see which is better. Or just a plain Commodore 64, which would have a bigger screen.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 26, 2010

              Yes, in fact I have been working on getting the equipment for the Shredz 64. I ordered the board and ordered an Guitar Hero guitar. I wanted to buy this for myself anyway.

            Great.

            Should I also bring my C-64 setup?

            Yes please.  One less thing for me to schlep from the museum.  (Feel free to borrow one of ours.)

            How much floor space to sleep will I have?

            I don't know.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 31, 2010
              8bit entertainment that wknd in NYC

              Pulsewave
              Sep 25, 2010
              Disasterpeace
              George & Jonathan
              ChipHydra
              Rosa Menkman
              on visuals

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 7, 2010

                Well, I hit a snag on my setup. I have the network installed and it's working on the C64. I can get the Web Browser and things such as IRC to work properly. But the one big App, Twitter,  that I was trying to get running was causing such a big headache. I was ready to pull my hairs out last night. I didn't know until the Twitter programmer just replied early this morning [from Belgium].

                I had read about this already because it involves all the cell phones - but it didn't dawn on me that it would be related to my setup - it was approaching 3am last night so I guess nothing would :)

                Twitter.com changed their security authentication at the end of August --uugghh-
                Compromising Twitter's OAuth security system

                So I politely asked him if there's any way he will be able to update this App in time for our museum exhibit on the 25th - so I'm crossing my fingers now.

                =Dan

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 22, 2010
                  I won't be able to make it. I'm quite sick. Please have some fun on my
                  behalf. 8-(

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 22, 2010
                    That stinks, especially after you missed Trenton too. :(

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 8, 2011
                      MARCH will have a table -- just one, unfortunately -- in the InfoAge
                      booth for this year's Maker Faire NYC (now called "World Maker Faire").

                      I'll be there both days. Jeff B. will be there Sunday. Jeff J. said
                      he'll attend but I am not yet sure which day(s). We will probably need
                      another one or two people. ** Very important: this overall booth is to
                      advertise InfoAge, not our club. Of course we can still tell people
                      about MARCH and VCF if they seem particularly interested.

                      We will demo the "Shredz 64" hack for a Commodore 64, thanks to Jeff B.,
                      and at least one of the following: anything running BASIC; an S-100
                      computer; MOBIDIC poster exhibit. It is a difficult decision! Open to
                      additional ideas of anybody wants to bring something specific, as long
                      there's a solid connection between hacking and history.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 9, 2011
                          >>> I plan to attend whichever day promises better weather.

                          Okay. Please let me know as soon as you can.

                          >>> The "network" demo last year was great; can you do that again?

                          Won't be enough room. We have to be very selective this time.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 11, 2011
                            So far there's me (both days), Jeff B. (Sunday only), Jeff J. (both
                            days), and Jim S. (not sure which day(s).)

                            I assume that other MARCHins will attend the Faire but not necessarily
                            staff the InfoAge booth (of which MARCH is part this year) -- which is
                            fine, but I can only get free tickets for those whose primarily reason
                            for attending is to help us.

                            Also, I need to know by, well, in the next 30 seconds or at least by
                            tomorrow morning. :)
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011

                              Have fun at Maker Faire this wknd
                              Wish I could make it - I'll have to try next year.

                              I still have to post that video from last year with Evan riding that hi-tech portable bicycle inside the museum -- and add some sound effects ;)

                              One good thing that's a result of all this - of reaching the east coast - is now there's a Mini-Maker Faire in Pittsburgh this year in Oct (it's only a 1day event instead). But I still wouldn't want to miss the main event in NYC again.

                              =Dan

                            • Jeff Jonas
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                                > Have fun at Maker Faire this wknd
                                > Wish I could make it - I'll have to try next year.

                                It was fun being with you last year repairing the Altair cards, but this year we're low on space so the Altair's only the CPU card and one static RAM card.

                                Here are pix of the deep innards:

                                http://ferretronix.com/march/altair/
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
                                  Working on the Altair is a team effort. I'm glad to hear you have
                                  the computer stabilized. Nice pics. Now go to sleep!

                                  Just got back from the Phillies game, was hoping they would take the
                                  division today, but no dice.

                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 25, 2011
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                                    > I still have to post that video from last year
                                    > with Evan riding that hi-tech portable bicycle
                                    > inside the museum -- and add some sound effects ;)

                                    Ah yes, the Sir Clive Sinclair folding bicycle:

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-bike
                                  • JeffreyB
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 3, 2012
                                      Christian,

                                      I will be running the M.A.R.C.H. booth for Maker Faire on Sunday September 30. I need a place to stay. I usually stay at a friends house in Queens, but they are on vacation that weekend. Would I be able to stay at your place ?

                                      Jeff Brace
                                    • Jeffrey Brace
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 3, 2012
                                        Whoops ! That was meant as a private e-mail. I guess I won’t use the web
                                        interface again !

                                        Sorry about that everyone.
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                                          MARCHins,

                                          We always seem to be one event ahead! Planning for VCF East during TCF,
                                          a workshop during VCF, HOPE during a workshop, and now World Maker Faire
                                          during HOPE...

                                          Turns our WMF (formerly "New York" Maker Faire) has a July 20
                                          application deadline. That's this weekend!!

                                          To make sure we're covered, I applied with the exhibit title, "Online
                                          Before Internet". This way we can have a generic demo of 1960s, 1970s,
                                          and 1980s computers, and we can show how people when "online" using
                                          teletypes, terminals, and dial-up modems -- mostly alien concepts for
                                          the audience (especially children) to which Maker Faire caters.

                                          This gives us freedom to bring any vintage computers we want. Leeway = good.

                                          I also requested an indoor space, 10x20 sq. ft., preferably on the
                                          ground floor, and I told them we may have special power requirements.
                                        • rahwayflynn
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                                            Evan,
                                            Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

                                            Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

                                            Martin.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                                              > Evan,
                                              > Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.
                                              >
                                              > Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies
                                              > here the modems train and connect.
                                              >
                                              > Martin.

                                              Will do! Thanks
                                            • s100doctor
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 18, 2014

                                                ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <maflynn@...> wrote :

                                                Evan,
                                                Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

                                                Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

                                                Martin.

                                                Can you contact me privately for details about this "box"? Reply via my retrotechnology.com Web site.

                                                Herb Johnson

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                                                  It's a just a technicality, but, I got an email last night saying that
                                                  our exhibit proposal for World Maker Faire has been accepted. (Pretty
                                                  easy when your organization exhibited in every year of the event's
                                                  existence and when your references are the same people who approve the
                                                  exhibits.)

                                                  Refresher: the proposal was "Online Before the Internet". That way we
                                                  can bring an assortment of minis, homebrew systems, and 8-bit stuff, and
                                                  show people how we connected to information silos by using teletypes,
                                                  terminals, and dial-up modems.
                                                • Martin A Flynn
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                                                    Evan,
                                                    Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                                                    I have a  Multitech MTCBA cellular modem on Verizon that has a serial port if someone wants to install heavy metal on one of the spare HP thin client floating around.

                                                    Given enough time, I can probally find a Telebyte 65A RS-232 to Current Loop Converter Model to address the machine interface as well.

                                                    Martin Flynn

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                                                      >> Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                                                      Nah. It's a neat hack but we want to show something authentic. Showing the "Shredz 64" clone of Guitar Hero backfired a few years ago when kids started thinking that's how we played GH back in the 80s.  :)