Various things

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2010
      Rescued two boxes of on-topic computer books and one box of misc. 5.25 software today.

      The written version of our ceiling drywall bid finally arrived. I gave it to Fred for funding. Hopefully he'll have an update in a week from now. There's no doubt that it * will * be funded; he's just an extremely busy person.

      However he did say "no" to our wall-o'-file cabinets. Instead, he requested that we try making the hallway wall out of cubicle parts. InfoAge has a stash of those, newly rediscovered this week, so this Sunday we'll organize them and see exactly what's there. He also suggested that if there's not enough for the whole wall, then we could intersperse it with outward-facing display cases, to give people a hint about what's on the other side.

      Nobody other than Dan R. confirmed their Maker Faire attendance. I don't know why not ... this event will be just as much fun as HOPE and probably more fun than Trenton. Anyone? Bueller .... ?
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2010
        I'd like to attend the Maker Faire, but it'll come down to whether I'm overly busy then or not. Job hunting while renovating a house built in the 1800's takes up most of my time!

        However, if I can't make it and someone wants to display them, I've got several of the XT-IDE boards assembled and working. I've also got some S-100 proto boards I've hand-assembled, interfacing bits of hardware onto the S-100 bus for use with my mostly Cromemco system. I should also be getting the first prototype PCB for a personal project in -- it's an 8085-based single board computer. I built the point-to-point wired proto in an effort to come up with a flexable system to develop projects with that do better with a full data and address bus. It turned out to work pretty well for that purpose, so I've had a 1-off PC board etched.

        Thanks,

        Jonathan

        On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 03:06:51 +0000
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Rescued two boxes of on-topic computer books and one box of misc. 5.25 software today.
        >
        > The written version of our ceiling drywall bid finally arrived. I gave it to Fred for funding. Hopefully he'll have an update in a week from now. There's no doubt that it * will * be funded; he's just an extremely busy person.
        >
        > However he did say "no" to our wall-o'-file cabinets. Instead, he requested that we try making the hallway wall out of cubicle parts. InfoAge has a stash of those, newly rediscovered this week, so this Sunday we'll organize them and see exactly what's there. He also suggested that if there's not enough for the whole wall, then we could intersperse it with outward-facing display cases, to give people a hint about what's on the other side.
        >
        > Nobody other than Dan R. confirmed their Maker Faire attendance. I don't know why not ... this event will be just as much fun as HOPE and probably more fun than Trenton. Anyone? Bueller .... ?

        Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...>
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 25, 2010
          I have a very busy work schedule. So at best I could come late Saturday night and help out on Sunday, but I would need to get back home around 6pm. Would it be useful for me to come there for Sunday only ?

        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
            "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

            >However he did say "no" to our wall-o'-file cabinets. Instead, he
            >requested that we try making the hallway wall out of cubicle parts.

            Glad I moved so many of them. :)
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010

              >> Glad I moved so many of them. :)

              Turns out the person who helped us (John) -- and who said it was Fred's idea -- didn't know what he was talking about.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
                Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                >Turns out the person who helped us (John) -- and who said it was Fred's
                >idea -- didn't know what he was talking about.

                Well, personally, I think cubicle partitions will look much nice and more
                befitting of a computer exhibit. I have a large Dilbert head you can have
                peeking over a wall for effect. :)

                Cubicle walls can be bound together too to make a sturdier wall.
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
                  I will be there and will toss in $$ for the room.. I wont stay in the room, but I figure it will be a cool place to hang, bring munchies and play video games.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
                    Okay.

                    So we've definitely got:
                    - me
                    - Dan
                    - Jeff B.
                    - Chris

                    Now it's becoming a party!

                    Chris, what might you bring to demo? Perhaps your RCA stuff because it was a kit.

                    From: Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...>
                    Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:37:43 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire

                    I will be there and will toss in $$ for the room.. I wont stay in the room, but I figure it will be a cool place to hang, bring munchies and play video games.

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > Okay.