Re: [midatlanticretro] Tandy 6000HD

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25 8:35 AM
      I had a similar experience (errors 30 minutes after power up) with an older SCSI drive, turned out to be cold solder joints at the power connector. Might be worth a look.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 24, 2010, at 10:30 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

      I've discovered a few things about my 6000HD:

      1. The original hard drive controller was definitely bad. It recognized
      the drive as ready, but would not format any track.

      2. The Seagate ST-4038 I had previously tried to load only works for about
      1/2 hour, then starts throwing errors.

      3. The original 15MB hard drive works, and I was able to load the complete
      development system on it. During the hdinit process, about a dozen "no
      space on dev 1/1" messages appeared, but the installation proceeded.

      4. I believe both Seagate ST-251s are good, but both go not-ready during
      the installation process. When I get a chance, I'm going to experiment
      with taping over pin 2 on the control cable. This was originally the
      signal to reduce write current on inner tracks, but then became a 4th head
      select line on later drives. The ST-251 should be ignoring it, but it's
      possible that the RWC signal is causing problems. This SHOULD only be a
      problem with drives that have more than 8 heads, like the ST-4096.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...