Maker Faire NYC -- big update

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
      Hi all --

      Finally heard back from the Maker people today. I last heard from them
      several months ago, when they said, "Your group can join us; details later."

      Here's the scoop:
      - We'll be indoors, not in the parking lot (show has both)
      - If we stay both days (strongly preferred by Maker Faire) then
      security-wise, we can duplicate TCF '06 -- put giant tarp(s) over our
      tables at night and cable-lock them -- or take things with us
      - We're getting three 8-foot tables, several chairs, etc.
      - We'll have access to a loading dock at the venue (NY Hall of Science)
      - Set up starting @ 7am Sat. morning (public = 10a-7p)
      - There are several hotels nearby. I called the Holiday Inn Express.
      Rate with my AAA discount is $134/night for Fri/Sat nights (or just Sat.
      night) -- I propose that several of us pitch in and share a room --
      it'll already have two beds; we can also bring sleeping bags or just
      wing it. Parking is ** FREE ** unlike the Manhattan hotels.

      So: I need to know who's coming, which days(s), what you're bringing, if
      you'll share a hotel room, etc. -- FYI the hotel rooms in that vicinity
      are selling out FAST so we need answers right away!!!!

      System-wise, I think we should bring:
      - original Altair w/ connected teletype
      - any 8-bit BASIC system(s)
      - any examples of modern accessories for vintage systems (there will be
      many kids/families, so it would be GREAT for someone to bring Shredz 64
      -- that was a hit at our previous VCF East)
      - any of Vince Briel's stuff
      - I'll bring posters re: Camp Evans hacking
      - what else? Remember, it has to be relevant to the "maker" concept, not
      just random vintage computers
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
        > There are several hotels nearby. I called the Holiday Inn Express. Rate with my AAA discount is $134/night for Fri/Sat nights (or just Sat. night) -- I propose that several of us pitch in and share a room -- it'll already have two beds; we can also bring sleeping bags or just
        > wing it. Parking is ** FREE ** unlike the Manhattan hotels.

        Brainstorm: I booked one room on the MARCH credit card just now.
        Confirmed that it can be cancelled up to 6pm the day before. Whoever
        wants to stay there overnight can just pitch in. If it's a few days
        pre-event and nobody says they're staying, then I'll cancel it and MARCH
        won't have to pay either.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
          >> There are several hotels nearby. I called the Holiday Inn Express. Rate with my AAA discount is $134/night for Fri/Sat nights (or just Sat. night) -- I propose that several of us pitch in and share a room -- it'll already have two beds; we can also bring sleeping bags or just wing it. Parking is ** FREE ** unlike the Manhattan hotels.
          > Brainstorm: I booked one room on the MARCH credit card just now. Confirmed that it can be cancelled up to 6pm the day before. Whoever wants to stay there overnight can just pitch in. If it's a few days pre-event and nobody says they're staying, then I'll cancel it and MARCH won't have to pay either.

          Another update: this is the hotel:
          http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/flushing/nycfl/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-ex-_-nycfl
          -- comp breakfast, they have wifi, etc.

          So far it's me and Dan R., so we have dibs on the beds! The more people
          who stay, the less it costs.
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
            > System-wise, I think we should bring:
            > - original Altair w/ connected teletype
            > - any 8-bit BASIC system(s)
            > - any examples of modern accessories for vintage systems (there will be
            > - any of Vince Briel's stuff
            > - I'll bring posters re: Camp Evans hacking
            > - what else? Remember, it has to be relevant to the "maker" concept, not

            I have a couple of the 8bit XT - IDE boards and a NADS box if we need modern hardware for vintage machines. I probably can't go, but I can get these to someone if we need filler displays.

            The NADS box is an SD storage for the Tandy Model 100/102/200 line of computers. Most of us know what the XTIDE board is.

            Kelly
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2010
              On 8/24/2010 4:10 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
              >> System-wise, I think we should bring:
              >> - original Altair w/ connected teletype
              >> - any 8-bit BASIC system(s)
              >> - any examples of modern accessories for vintage systems (there will be
              >> - any of Vince Briel's stuff
              >> - I'll bring posters re: Camp Evans hacking
              >> - what else? Remember, it has to be relevant to the "maker" concept, not
              > I have a couple of the 8bit XT - IDE boards and a NADS box if we need modern hardware for vintage machines. I probably can't go, but I can get these to someone if we need filler displays.
              >
              > The NADS box is an SD storage for the Tandy Model 100/102/200 line of computers. Most of us know what the XTIDE board is.
              >
              > Kelly
              If I go, I'll likely stay with relatives in Brooklyn