Anyone handy with a soldering iron?

  • fieldfan1
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
      I got my recently acquired Compaq SLT 286 apart and it needs a new
      RTC/crystal/battery soldered in. I haven't got the part yet, but
      wanted to find someone who could do the job first before ordering it.
      I would also like a socket installed so that it won't have to be
      desoldered again in the future. Any takers?
    • fieldfan1
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "fieldfan1" <jburke293@c...>
        wrote:

        > I got my recently acquired Compaq SLT 286 apart and it needs a new
        > RTC/crystal/battery soldered in. I haven't got the part yet, but
        > wanted to find someone who could do the job first before ordering
        it.
        > I would also like a socket installed so that it won't have to be
        > desoldered again in the future. Any takers?

        Hmmmm... correction. I just did some measuring and it doesn't look
        like a socket will fit under the RTC chip like I wanted, so it will
        have to be resoldered directly to the motherboard. :-(
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
          wrote:

          I got my recently acquired Compaq SLT 286 apart and it needs a new
          RTC/crystal/battery soldered in. I haven't got the part yet, but
          wanted to find someone who could do the job first before ordering

          it.

          I would also like a socket installed so that it won't have to be
          desoldered again in the future. Any takers?

          Hmmmm... correction. I just did some measuring and it doesn't look
          like a socket will fit under the RTC chip like I wanted, so it will
          have to be resoldered directly to the motherboard. :-(

          I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. I've built a few heathkit type kits, but I've never soldered direct to a motherboard.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
            > I got my recently acquired Compaq SLT 286 apart and it needs a new
            > RTC/crystal/battery soldered in. I haven't got the part yet, but
            > wanted to find someone who could do the job first before ordering it.
            > I would also like a socket installed so that it won't have to be
            > desoldered again in the future. Any takers?

            I have a desoldering iron and have replaced chips before. I have lost
            an occasional pad so it may be visible that it has been repaired but should
            work. I'm in Maryland near DC.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 17, 2005
              Fieldfan1,

              Are you sure it needs a new chip? See if you can locate the battery which is
              probably what is bad. I have a Micron 486 board that has a soldered in NiCd
              battery that went bad years ago. Fortunately there is also a pin-block that
              allows for one of those square lithium batteries. When I have a good lithium
              battery connected, the systems works fine.

              The soldered-in NiCd battery is a round plastic-coated cylinder about 1/2"
              diameter by 1" long that looks like a capacitor. Someday I should cut that
              thing out as it just drains the lithium cells.

              I keep this machine going because it has an EISA bus (EISA video, SCSI, and
              ethernet) with 40M RAM and runs WFW 3.11 like a banshi. [Oh, I forgot where I
              am - I don't need to justify such things here. <g>] BTW, if someone has a set
              of 4 4M 40-pin SIMMs (gold) that aren't doing anything...

              Jim

              --- fieldfan1 <jburke293@...> wrote:

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "fieldfan1" <jburke293@c...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I got my recently acquired Compaq SLT 286 apart and it needs a new
              > > RTC/crystal/battery soldered in. I haven't got the part yet, but
              > > wanted to find someone who could do the job first before ordering
              > it.
              > > I would also like a socket installed so that it won't have to be
              > > desoldered again in the future. Any takers?
              > >

              > Hmmmm... correction. I just did some measuring and it doesn't look
              > like a socket will fit under the RTC chip like I wanted, so it will
              > have to be resoldered directly to the motherboard. :-(

            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 17, 2005
                where are you located Mr. Burke?

                http://mail.yahoo.com