Osbourne Executive

  • telmnstr@757.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2010
      Hey everyone,

      I'm having a hell of a time between a Kaypro II and an Osbourne
      Executive.

      On the Osbourne Executive, I keep trying to write out floppies, but the
      POS won't boot from them. Normally it gives an error.

      The main set of floppy images I have are in IMD format. I've written the
      disks out with a 360K floppy (single step, single sided), and even tried
      hooking the Osbourne floppy to the actual PC to write the floppy.

      I tried a few Osbourne I disk images in td0 format, but teledisk just
      locks up on the PC I have when it goes to write to the floppy.

      What I'm surprised about is that the Executive was supposed to have
      double sided drives, no? Why are all the images single sided? What happens
      when you put a single sided image into a double sided drive, is the data
      intereleaved between sides?

      Kaypro II still has no floppy seek, and the caps look okay. I'm hoping
      to get the Osbourne up and running and then return to the Kaypro II.

      The osbourne also had a vertical hold issue, which seems to actually be
      related to teh connector on the system board, and not a control inside the
      monitor housing.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2010
        On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, telmnstr@... wrote:

        > On the Osbourne Executive, I keep trying to write out floppies, but the
        > POS won't boot from them. Normally it gives an error.

        What's the error message?

        > What I'm surprised about is that the Executive was supposed to have
        > double sided drives, no? Why are all the images single sided? What happens
        > when you put a single sided image into a double sided drive, is the data
        > intereleaved between sides?

        The Executive came standard with single-sided drives (as mine does).
        Are you sure yours has double-sided? Whose disk images are you using? I
        wrote a set of disks from Dave Dunfield's CPMPLUS images, and they booted
        okay on Exec.

        Have you tried to boot from the B: drive? Hold down the SHIFT and "
        (double quote) key at the same time.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...