MARCH in a HOPE blog

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2010
      Blogger cites me/BillDeg's vintage computing lecture from HOPE:

      >>> The Vintage Computing talk ended in me dragging a 14
      year old I was showing around to the Borders across the street to buy her a copy of Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution to give her more context about things like the Altair and the PDP-11.

      That's friggin' awesome.

      Full post: http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2010/07/next-hope.html
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2010
        Evan... can you repost the link to the video of our talk?

        Bill Degnan

        > Blogger cites me/BillDeg's vintage computing lecture from HOPE:

        > showing around to the Borders across the street to buy her a copy of
        > Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

        <http://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Heroes-Computer-Revolution-Anniversary/dp/144
        9388396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280199166&sr=8-1>

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2010
          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

          > Blogger cites me/BillDeg's vintage computing lecture from HOPE:

          >showing around to the Borders across the street to buy her a copy of
          >Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
          ><http://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Heroes-Computer-Revolution-Anniversary/dp/1449388396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280199166&sr=8-1>
          >to give her more context about things like the Altair and the PDP-11.
          >
          >That's friggin' awesome.
          >
          >Full post: http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2010/07/next-hope.html

          Save that that book at Amazon is authored by Steven Levy who is, IMHO, an
          ass. When he worked for Newsweek he authored an insensitive, ill-informed
          article about Eddie Werner -- a child brutally murdered in my home town by
          another child with a history of mental issues. Kudos on your talk but I'm
          sorry that it precipitated even one sale of an ass's book.