Museum update

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
      Today three drywallers visited InfoAge to check out our new museum space and get the information for cost estimates.  We expect to have all three bids by early next week.  Cost will probably be in the $4,000-$5,000 range.  InfoAge, not MARCH, is paying for this.  Drywall will be installed on the rafters to serve as our ceiling; the side walls will be done some other time.  Exciting!
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        > Today three drywallers visited InfoAge to check out our new museum
        >space and get the information for cost estimates. We expect to have all
        >three bids by early next week. Cost will probably be in the
        >$4,000-$5,000 range. InfoAge, not MARCH, is paying for this. Drywall
        >will be installed on the rafters to serve as our ceiling; the side walls
        >will be done some other time. Exciting!

        If the ceiling is to be drywalled in that space, how will lighting be
        provided? Surface mount fixtures? I recall some discussion of track
        lighting. That's nice for spotlighting exhibits but will it be enough
        for the whole area???
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10 5:15 PM
          We got a lot done today. Matt and I got there at noon. We started sorting library books vs. VCF sale books. Jeff B. came at 1:00; he and Matt finished moving desks into Room 5 (second micro exhibit), and then they moved the computers into place. I continued sorting books and Nick arrived to help. Later I showed around some visitors. Jeff J. arrived with more books and computer parts from the Kirk rescue.

          Next week we'll plug in the micros, see if they all work, etc., and we'll also attack the next batch of books. Then we have to set up the rest of the exhibit room such as signs, manuals, etc.

          Nick today delivered the check that he promised for our library. It's a significant amount, and we'll use it to purchase shelving, etc. ... We'll try to get at least part of that done pre-VCF, so we can display some of our nicest and most historic books, magazines, and manuals. Once again, a huge thank-you to Nick!!

          Wednesday I'll be back there and Bill Deg. is coming too. Jeff J. will bring yet another load of books, mags, etc. ....

          It's fun making all this progress! We can't get it ALL done pre-VCF, but we're making huge strides.

          PS - anyone who puts in a solid day or two of museum work pre-VCF is welcome to take a few books from our sale pile.
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10 9:21 PM
            > Jeff B. came at 1:00; he and Matt finished moving desks into Room 5 (second micro exhibit), and then they moved the computers into place.

            I hoped to fit seven desks in Room 5 vs. six in Room 4. (Room 5 is
            slightly larger.) But that didn't fit, so we had to settle for six.
            That means one computer had to go from this list:

            1. IBM 5100
            2. Apple II
            3. PET 2011
            4. TRS-80
            5. Atari 800
            6. Sinclair ZX-80
            7. TI-99/4a
            8. IBM 5150
            9. Commodore 64
            10. Sony SMC-70
            11. Apple Mac
            12. DEC Rainbow
            13. Commodore Amiga

            In popularity, the SMC-70 and Rainbow are probably the bottom two. But
            we have an SMC-70 (and an expert in Andy), and we're getting a Rainbow
            soon. The only computer we lack from this list is a ZX-80. Also the
            ZX-80 lends itself to a small space, so if we ever get one (or in the
            meantime with an '81, etc.), then we can put that on a smaller table or
            shelf elsewhere in the room.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2011
              Helloooooooooooo MARCHins.

              Gave myself a day off, but Jeff B. and Jeff F. kept up their great work
              at InfoAge today.

              Jeff B. removed most of MARCH's belongings from Room 6. Just a little
              bit more to go in there, which almost certainly will be finished next
              weekend or the weekend after that. Then we'll report back to Fred, and
              he'll have other people clean the non-MARCH stuff out of there, followed
              by fixing up the room. I am getting increasingly psyched about the
              "modern history" exhibit that we'll build in that room. Not only did
              Jeff B. move a lot of stuff today, he did so despite most of the primary
              sidewalks and ramps being torn up due to the in-progress ADA
              construction. Awesome.

              Jeff F. delivered more Epson gear, etc., from the Kirk estate. He also
              sorted IBM 1130 manuals, AT&T 3B2 hardware, and delivered some
              non-computer items from the Kirk estate to other InfoAge groups. He
              wrote to me: "Diver Dan greatly appreciated the books about ship
              navigation and mapping. The radio club's happy with the WW II radio
              manuals and amateur radio things. The small parts cabinets are now in
              the IXR* space." (J.J.'s been on a sorting-and-organizing tear for
              MARCH. That is invaluable, because I stink at it.)

              * IXR is the new hackerspace that's moved into InfoAge -- "Institute for
              Exploratory Research" which borrows its name from a historic Camp Evans
              department.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2011
                > Jeff F. delivered

                Oops. I meant Jeff J.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 28, 2012
                  Hi all,

                  Yesterday was good! InfoAge's staff BBQ was a success and MARCH was well
                  represented by me, Alise, Bryan, Jeff B., Jeff J., and Corey.

                  A couple of weeks ago Bryan said he's giving his collection to us. I
                  thought he meant a handful of systems in the back seat of his car.
                  Instead, he showed up in a FULL box truck. It's a good thing me and the
                  Jeff(s) spent the past few months clearing/organizing our club's storage
                  area .... because now it's full again! It will be quite a while before
                  we inventory what Bryan donated. Some of it we'll keep (some of his
                  PETs, Fairchild Model F, etc.) and other things we'll offer for sale
                  (many more C-64, TI-99/4a, etc.)

                  Also we had about 30 museum visitors yesterdays -- young kids, older
                  kids, parents, seniors, techies, etc. -- a very diverse audience this
                  weekend.
                • ekoblentz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                    Another day of hard, productive, and fun work in the warehouse! Jeff B. and I arrived at 11, worked until 2, took an hour for lunch, and worked again until almost 7. We built four or five shelving units, organized large bunches of things, and cleared ever more floor space.

                    Neither of us are free next Sunday or the following Sunday. But I'd like to do warehouse work on at least one of the next two Saturdays. Anyone up for it?
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2013
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 15, 2013
                        Jeff J. and I spent about five hours working in the warehouse today. We sorted books to keep vs. sell. We got through about 1/3rd of the books. We also retrieved an ADM3-A that Neil C. donated, and we in turn donated some electronics books to IXR.

                        Jeff B. will be on-site this Sunday.

                        _____
                        Sent from a phone...
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 17, 2014
                          I went to the museum today because there were three InfoAge events happening and so we'd have lots of visitors. We were not disappointed! Visitors galore today, many of whom had good technical backgrounds, including a couple of potential new MARCHins and one person who sorta-kinda knew Jeff J. from their mutual time at Concurrent.

                          Jeff J. himself was there today and Herb also stopped by. Herb took home one of our Zenith Z-100 systems for restoration.

                          I checked out our storage area. The new roof is halfway done.
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 18, 2014
                            Evan it seems that in general there are more visitors on Saturday than Sunday. All the other museum guys say about how many people come on Saturdays. What do you think about giving tours in Saturdays instead of Sundays? I can't do Saturdays, but maybe Corey, you and Mouse can? The last several times it has been very quiet when I was here giving tours on Sundays.