Re: [midatlanticretro] OT - high tech hobby groups in south Jersey?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 4:32 PM

      On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      There's a guy looking to form a Hackerspace here at Infoage. But that is probably not "south" enough for you. Perhaps look @ one of the Philly hackerspaces.

      Yeah, a little too far for me.  My wife does a lot of playing around too, so I'm hoping to find something local so one or the other can go to a fun meeting, show off something we did, and the other stays home with the kids for the evening :)

      Philly isn't far away, but it's a miserable drive.  However, that might be the closest to what I'm looking for.

    • mejeep_ferret
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 3:56 AM
        > Some areas have informal get-togethers of people who enjoy
        > playing with electronics, software, and other such projects.
        > Does anyone know of any in the southern NJ area?

        There's http://fubarlabs.com/
        at 403 Cleveland St.
        Highland Park, NJ
        (near Edison, near Rutgers New Brunswick & Bush campus)

        They seem to focus on the AVR based Arduino, with members selling really cheap clone kits. One member brought in his benchtop laser cutter and they have a 3D plastic model maker.
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5 6:23 AM
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5 7:04 AM

            >> There's http://fubarlabs.com/
            at 403 Cleveland St.
            Highland Park, NJ

            That's central Jersey. He meant "south" as in down by Philly.
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5 9:49 PM
              No, thats North Jersey. Anything North of of the Driscoll Bridge is
              North Jersey. Anything between the Driscoll Bridge and Toms River is
              Central Jersey, and anything from Toms River to Cape May is South Jersey.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5 10:17 PM
                You're geographically correct but culturally wrong. Parts of Middlesex County, and all of Somerville/Warren counties are "central" Jersey, yet north of the Raritan River.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6 1:08 PM
                  Jeff,

                  I'll send you mine including the "hacking kit". Send me your address
                  (off list) and it's yours. You've already send me lots of stuff so no
                  trade needed.

                  Jim