Mystery Solved, HP_64000

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
      Don,
      I have been searching every computer that ever existed for the past two
      weeks. Sleeping 3 hours, 1 hour for eating, and then back at it. But now
      my quest is complete, I finally figured out what computer is in this
      picture
      http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/weekly/FamiStars19.jpg

      It's an HP 64000.

      These were not personal computers, they're pretty beefy systems, very heavy
      machines.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_64000
      http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/64000/
      http://www.hparchive.com/Journals/Low-Resolution/HPJ-1980-10-Low-Resolution.
      pdf

      These systems would have been used through '86 or so, but they were first
      introduced in 1980. Most of the time the little PROM programmer slot is
      uncovered, but FamiStars image has the cover intact.

      I probably didn't need to go all of the way to Japan to figure this out,
      but they have good sushi.

      Bill Degnan
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
        Unusual picture. But yes, they are extremely heavy machines. The PROM module is device specific and pops out so that it can be exchanged, or a blanking plate installed. You'll also find occasional references to the HP64110A which is a 'portable' version of the 64000, but still heavy enough to put a dent in your foot should you drop it.

        One of these days I'll drag one of mine over to VCF East.

        -Dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
          Very good Bill! You stuck to it like a tick.
          Edison would admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness.

          billdrom

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
            It's one of those days, lots of manic energy for pointless pursuits.

            Bill Degnan

            > Very good Bill! You stuck to it like a tick.
            > Edison would admire your stick-to-it-ive-ness.
            >
            > billdrom

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
              On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              It's one of those days, lots of manic energy for pointless pursuits.

              and here I thought all along that you were looking for this one
              --haha

              =dAn
            • mloewen16823
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010

                > I have been searching every computer that ever existed for the past two
                > weeks. Sleeping 3 hours, 1 hour for eating, and then back at it. But now
                > my quest is complete, I finally figured out what computer is in this
                > picture
                > http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/weekly/FamiStars19.jpg
                >
                > It's an HP 64000.

                And now, for your reward:

                Ebay #280544395092

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Jason T
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 10, 2010
                  On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:46 PM, mloewen16823
                  <mloewen@...> wrote:

                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  > > It's an HP 64000.
                  >
                  > And now, for your reward:
                  >
                  > Ebay #280544395092

                  I watched this auction close with no bids. I was considering jumping
                  on it, being at least in the right part of the country, but it's still
                  an ~8hr drive for me, both ways. I wrote to the seller and asked
                  about the HP's future. The answer: we're just about to dump it in the
                  crusher, but if you want we'll list it one more time.

                  So they're apparently going to do this - is anyone going to bid? I'd
                  hate to see this glorious old brown machine go to scrap. I will
                  possibly bid if no one else speaks up, but it's going to take some
                  wrangling to find time to go get it. Oh, and they insist they can
                  only support pickup M-F, 9-5, so that means taking a day off, too, for
                  us working normal hours.

                  Oh, and greetings from the Midwest and Chicago Classic Computing, your
                  hosts for VCF-MW!

                  --
                  jht