RE: [midatlanticretro] OT - high tech hobby groups in south Jersey?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
      > What is the robotics one?

      Well, it doesn't look like their web page is active anymore, but they used
      to meet near the Echelon Mall:

      http://www.sjrobotics.org/

      Maybe you'll find a member's page by searching for the club "South Jersey
      Robotics Group." I haven't been to a meeting in several years.

      However, this is still around:

      http://www.cjrobotics.org/

      Bob
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010

        On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        There's a guy looking to form a Hackerspace here at Infoage. But that is probably not "south" enough for you. Perhaps look @ one of the Philly hackerspaces.

        Yeah, a little too far for me.  My wife does a lot of playing around too, so I'm hoping to find something local so one or the other can go to a fun meeting, show off something we did, and the other stays home with the kids for the evening :)

        Philly isn't far away, but it's a miserable drive.  However, that might be the closest to what I'm looking for.

      • mejeep_ferret
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
          > Some areas have informal get-togethers of people who enjoy
          > playing with electronics, software, and other such projects.
          > Does anyone know of any in the southern NJ area?

          There's http://fubarlabs.com/
          at 403 Cleveland St.
          Highland Park, NJ
          (near Edison, near Rutgers New Brunswick & Bush campus)

          They seem to focus on the AVR based Arduino, with members selling really cheap clone kits. One member brought in his benchtop laser cutter and they have a 3D plastic model maker.
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010

              >> There's http://fubarlabs.com/
              at 403 Cleveland St.
              Highland Park, NJ

              That's central Jersey. He meant "south" as in down by Philly.
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                No, thats North Jersey. Anything North of of the Driscoll Bridge is
                North Jersey. Anything between the Driscoll Bridge and Toms River is
                Central Jersey, and anything from Toms River to Cape May is South Jersey.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                  You're geographically correct but culturally wrong. Parts of Middlesex County, and all of Somerville/Warren counties are "central" Jersey, yet north of the Raritan River.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6, 2010
                    Jeff,

                    I'll send you mine including the "hacking kit". Send me your address
                    (off list) and it's yours. You've already send me lots of stuff so no
                    trade needed.

                    Jim