Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro II - no disk seek

  • telmnstr@757.org
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      > I did this w/o removing the monitor
      > You'll need a right angle alan wrench
      > =Dan

      Oddly, the right angle one that would fit, seems to be missing :-)

      Gotta hate that!
    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        Okay, I hooked up the 360K floppy after moving the jumper from DS1 to DS0
        and it does not seek upon powering on the kaypro II. It was the only drive
        on the chain.

        Voltages seem to be okay as far as the +12/+5/-12 hitting the system
        board.

        I'm guessing the problem is something else.

        The screen says insert a floppy into A and A is flashing.
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          did you move the terminator?

          Bill Degnan

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            > did you move the terminator?
            > Bill Degnan

            No. Drive light would come on without that, I'd figure? Data bus might be
            noisy tho?
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
              I'd have to see inside, but if you only have one drive on the chain, you
              need a terminator in there. Sounds like you have a Mboard problem though
              if I were to bet.
              bd

              Bill Degnan

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
                I don't like starting without a known tested floppy drive first. This can get frustrating if you don't. You said that you swapped between the original A 'n B drives of the Kaypro,. How about the PC 360k drive, is that a known tested drive ? if so, give it a try, once you change it to drive 0.
                Like Bill said , don't forget the Terminator chip[usually blue], it's in another DIP socket, next to the edge connector, still at work here, but I think it's supposed to sit on Drive A - the reverse of what you think.

                I would further inspect that white crusty residue that you mentioned, it sounds like something was leaking, not good, it can corrode the components and cause addt'l problems. Hopefully the PC 360k drive is clean.

                Then you always want a drive cleaner, the heads can still have gunk on them - floppies get old and leave lots of oxide on them

                =Dan

                On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM, <telmnstr@...> wrote:
                Okay, I hooked up the 360K floppy after moving the jumper from DS1 to DS0
                and it does not seek upon powering on the kaypro II. It was the only drive
                on the chain.

                Voltages seem to be okay as far as the +12/+5/-12 hitting the system
                board.

                I'm guessing the problem is something else.

                The screen says insert a floppy into A and A is flashing.

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)