Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro II - no disk seek

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3 7:45 AM
      but remove the motherboard first :)

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      I did this w/o removing the monitor
      You'll need a right angle alan wrench

      =Dan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <telmnstr@...> wrote:
      > I went thru repairing several drives on mine - it's a chore. If the drive is
      > spinning and you have no Drive LED swap out the config jumpers. They always

      Ah okay. I'll check into it. I looked briefly this morning, and tried to
      remove the factory drives. They are mounted in there pretty good, so it
      looks like I'll have to remove the monitor to get to the allen screws that
      hold the disks in. The faceplate of the drives seem to sandwich the front
      panel, which means removing the 4 screws on the bottom of the drive
      carrier did nothing.

      Will get to it this evening, while trying to make C64 disks with the
      XA1541v2 adaptor!

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3 8:00 AM
        > I did this w/o removing the monitor
        > You'll need a right angle alan wrench
        > =Dan

        Oddly, the right angle one that would fit, seems to be missing :-)

        Gotta hate that!
      • telmnstr@757.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3 12:22 PM
          Okay, I hooked up the 360K floppy after moving the jumper from DS1 to DS0
          and it does not seek upon powering on the kaypro II. It was the only drive
          on the chain.

          Voltages seem to be okay as far as the +12/+5/-12 hitting the system
          board.

          I'm guessing the problem is something else.

          The screen says insert a floppy into A and A is flashing.
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3 12:31 PM
            did you move the terminator?

            Bill Degnan

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 12:39 PM
              > did you move the terminator?
              > Bill Degnan

              No. Drive light would come on without that, I'd figure? Data bus might be
              noisy tho?
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 12:48 PM
                I'd have to see inside, but if you only have one drive on the chain, you
                need a terminator in there. Sounds like you have a Mboard problem though
                if I were to bet.
                bd

                Bill Degnan

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3 1:17 PM
                  I don't like starting without a known tested floppy drive first. This can get frustrating if you don't. You said that you swapped between the original A 'n B drives of the Kaypro,. How about the PC 360k drive, is that a known tested drive ? if so, give it a try, once you change it to drive 0.
                  Like Bill said , don't forget the Terminator chip[usually blue], it's in another DIP socket, next to the edge connector, still at work here, but I think it's supposed to sit on Drive A - the reverse of what you think.

                  I would further inspect that white crusty residue that you mentioned, it sounds like something was leaking, not good, it can corrode the components and cause addt'l problems. Hopefully the PC 360k drive is clean.

                  Then you always want a drive cleaner, the heads can still have gunk on them - floppies get old and leave lots of oxide on them

                  =Dan