Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro II - no disk seek

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2 9:55 PM
      I went thru repairing several drives on mine - it's a chore. If the drive is spinning and you have no Drive LED swap out the config jumpers. They always have a Configuration Header in a DIP socket at Location 1E on the floppy interface board [attached to the drive], just swap that out with the other drive to make it drive:0 . This is a 14pin header in a 16pin socket, so watch your pin 1, label them so you don't them mixed up. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry out the header slowly, just as you would with chips in a socket, but these are thin and can break, so edge it out from both sides alittle at a time.

      =Dan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM, systems_glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
      The PC drive will be jumpered for drive 1 (as opposed to drive 0)...if
      you can find the documentation for the drive, you can usually change
      this. Likewise, you should be able to change the drive select jumper
      on the second drive in the Kaypro.

      ~Jonathan

    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3 7:37 AM
        > I went thru repairing several drives on mine - it's a chore. If the drive is
        > spinning and you have no Drive LED swap out the config jumpers. They always

        Ah okay. I'll check into it. I looked briefly this morning, and tried to
        remove the factory drives. They are mounted in there pretty good, so it
        looks like I'll have to remove the monitor to get to the allen screws that
        hold the disks in. The faceplate of the drives seem to sandwich the front
        panel, which means removing the 4 screws on the bottom of the drive
        carrier did nothing.

        Will get to it this evening, while trying to make C64 disks with the
        XA1541v2 adaptor!
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3 7:43 AM

          I did this w/o removing the monitor
          You'll need a right angle alan wrench

          =Dan

          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <telmnstr@...> wrote:
          > I went thru repairing several drives on mine - it's a chore. If the drive is
          > spinning and you have no Drive LED swap out the config jumpers. They always

          Ah okay. I'll check into it. I looked briefly this morning, and tried to
          remove the factory drives. They are mounted in there pretty good, so it
          looks like I'll have to remove the monitor to get to the allen screws that
          hold the disks in. The faceplate of the drives seem to sandwich the front
          panel, which means removing the 4 screws on the bottom of the drive
          carrier did nothing.

          Will get to it this evening, while trying to make C64 disks with the
          XA1541v2 adaptor!

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3 7:45 AM
            but remove the motherboard first :)

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 8:00 AM
              > I did this w/o removing the monitor
              > You'll need a right angle alan wrench
              > =Dan

              Oddly, the right angle one that would fit, seems to be missing :-)

              Gotta hate that!
            • telmnstr@757.org
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 12:22 PM
                Okay, I hooked up the 360K floppy after moving the jumper from DS1 to DS0
                and it does not seek upon powering on the kaypro II. It was the only drive
                on the chain.

                Voltages seem to be okay as far as the +12/+5/-12 hitting the system
                board.

                I'm guessing the problem is something else.

                The screen says insert a floppy into A and A is flashing.
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3 12:31 PM
                  did you move the terminator?

                  Bill Degnan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3 12:39 PM
                    > did you move the terminator?
                    > Bill Degnan

                    No. Drive light would come on without that, I'd figure? Data bus might be
                    noisy tho?
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3 12:48 PM
                      I'd have to see inside, but if you only have one drive on the chain, you
                      need a terminator in there. Sounds like you have a Mboard problem though
                      if I were to bet.
                      bd

                      Bill Degnan

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3 1:17 PM
                        I don't like starting without a known tested floppy drive first. This can get frustrating if you don't. You said that you swapped between the original A 'n B drives of the Kaypro,. How about the PC 360k drive, is that a known tested drive ? if so, give it a try, once you change it to drive 0.
                        Like Bill said , don't forget the Terminator chip[usually blue], it's in another DIP socket, next to the edge connector, still at work here, but I think it's supposed to sit on Drive A - the reverse of what you think.

                        I would further inspect that white crusty residue that you mentioned, it sounds like something was leaking, not good, it can corrode the components and cause addt'l problems. Hopefully the PC 360k drive is clean.

                        Then you always want a drive cleaner, the heads can still have gunk on them - floppies get old and leave lots of oxide on them

                        =Dan