Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP 8e - OS/8 working enough to run for 2 hours.

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2010
      > *Today* for whatever reason the gods of computing smiled on me.

      Good that you were able to use your system. The gods may be more of
      teasing you. Intermittent problems can be really annoying to fix. I spent
      6 months trying to track one down in my PDP-8 since every time I touched
      it to try to trouble shoot the problem would go away. It ended up being
      a bad connection that got better for a while if the card was moved. Your's
      at least seems to stay acting up for a while.

      While its working you should see if you can write to the first 2
      locations of field 7 that we were having problems with to see if the
      two issues are related. Probably also good to run memory address (DHKMCB) and
      checkerboard diagnostics (DHKMAC). Adventure uses all the memory so if it
      works the memory is probably good.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2010
        David Gesswein wrote:
        *Today* for whatever reason the gods of computing smiled on me.

        <snip>
        While its working you should see if you can write to the first 2
        locations of field 7 that we were having problems with to see if the
        two issues are related. Probably also good to run memory address (DHKMCB) and
        checkerboard diagnostics (DHKMAC). Adventure uses all the memory so if it
        works the memory is probably good.

        I agree, I should take advantage of moments of clean operation to run test programs.  I will run these diagnostics next time, let you know how it goes.