RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Museum long-term expectations (please read, important!)

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 11, 2005
      Nah... in dos 1.0 they used the / for a command line options separator
      just like CP/M and RT11 (these were more models for the early DOS
      than Unix was).

      The \ for directory separator was because / was used.

      Sometimes I wonder why Microsoft does anything original.

      They're pretty much marketing based not engineering based.

      Bill

      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

      > I've heard that story presented as fact a few times. Sounds
      > plausible
      > enough.
      >

      > * Trivia from when I worked at Bell Labs - you can decide on the
      > truth or fiction of it: Any idea *why* we use a backslash in MS-DOS?
      > DOS's filesystem was modeled after Unix, and back then AT&T zealously
      >
      > guarded it as a piece of intelectual property (despite the fact it
      > crashed a lot and noone really liked it, except the faithful). As
      > legend has it, since Unix used a slash, Microsoft decided to use a
      > backslash to differentiate itself. Same thing for commands - dir
      > instead of ls, edit instead of ed, and so forth.....

    • William Pechter
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 11, 2005