Vintage Computer Festival progress

  • MITA - Gmail
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2010

      Things are shaping up nicely for the 1st annual Vintage Computer Festival Southwest, August 7-8. See the VCF website for the latest information: http://mit-a.com/VCF1.shtml

      We currently have 4 speakers signed up. Two are from Datapoint, one is from TI, and one is from the Museum of Information Technology at Arlington. If you would like to speak please contact us at Museum.IT.Arlington@....

      If you would like to exhibit at the VCF please let us know what you plan to show and we will add it to the web site. We will only have a limited number of tables, so please sign up soon.

      Gil

      --
      A. G. (Gil) Carrick, Director
      Museum of Information Technology at Arlington

      DT MITA icon

      1012 Portofino Drive

      Arlington, TX 76012
      817-264-MITA (6482) - gil.carrick (Skype)

      http://MIT-A.com

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2010
        On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, MITA - Gmail wrote:

        > Things are shaping up nicely for the 1st annual Vintage Computer Festival
        > Southwest, August 7-8. See the VCF website for the latest information:
        > http://mit-a.com/VCF1.shtml

        Gil saw the cards that I punched for last year's VCF East, and asked if
        I could do something similar for them. Here's their card:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Bill Dromgoole

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2010
            I wish I could go, I will be at the beach that weekend.
            VCF Dewey Beach!
            Bill

          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
              Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

              > Gil saw the cards that I punched for last year's VCF East, and asked if
              >I could do something similar for them. Here's their card:
              >
              >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg

              Not Found
              The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.

              Mike, if you still want to collaborate on something for VCF in the spring,
              let me know.
            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010

                >> Not Found The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.

                It works for me.

                Mike: the W is hard to read. Too narrow on bottom like a V.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                  On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, system@... wrote:

                  > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> Gil saw the cards that I punched for last year's VCF East, and asked if
                  >> I could do something similar for them. Here's their card:
                  >>
                  >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg
                  >
                  > Not Found
                  > The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.

                  That should be a tilde (~), not a dollar sign ($) in front of the
                  username.

                  > Mike, if you still want to collaborate on something for VCF in the spring,
                  > let me know.

                  I'm still interested. Since you're the VAX guru, I'm relying on your
                  expertise for interesting exhibit ideas. :-) I can bring my 4000/300 and
                  at least two VT-420 terminals. The VAX is up to 96MB (woohoo).

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                    On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, evan@... wrote:

                    >>> Not Found The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.
                    >
                    > It works for me.
                    >
                    > Mike: the W is hard to read. Too narrow on bottom like a V.

                    Too late - Gil already has them.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                      evan@... writes:

                      >>> Not Found The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.
                      >
                      >It works for me.

                      I can see http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/

                      ... but /$mloewen or /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg return 400s

                      $ telnet sturgeon.css.psu.edu 80

                      HEAD /$mloewen HTTP/1.0
                      HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                      Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:19:45 GMT
                      Server: Apache
                      Connection: close

                      $ telnet sturgeon.css.psu.edu 80
                      HEAD /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg HTT/1.0^]

                      HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                      Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:20:31 GMT
                      Server: Apache
                      Connection: close
                        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                        >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, system@... wrote:
                        >
                        >> Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                        >>
                        >>> Gil saw the cards that I punched for last year's VCF East, and asked if
                        >>> I could do something similar for them. Here's their card:
                        >>>
                        >>> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg
                        >>
                        >> Not Found
                        >> The requested URL /$mloewen/VCFSWorange.jpg was not found on this server.
                        >
                        > That should be a tilde (~), not a dollar sign ($) in front of the
                        >username.

                        Hmm... Some character encoding is getting horked somewhere.

                        >> Mike, if you still want to collaborate on something for VCF in the spring,
                        >> let me know.
                        >
                        > I'm still interested. Since you're the VAX guru, I'm relying on your
                        >expertise for interesting exhibit ideas. :-) I can bring my 4000/300 and
                        >at least two VT-420 terminals. The VAX is up to 96MB (woohoo).

                        I was thinking about an Ethernet exhibit. Everyone uses this d|i|g|i|t|a|l
                        technology today but I'd wager few have seen the original Ethernet (10base5
                        and vampire transceivers with AUI) in operation. I have a length of virgin
                        yellow Etherpipe coax here, "tap" tool, several H4000 & H4005 transceivers
                        and AUI drop cables. Even a copy of the original Ethernet blue book spec.
                        I don't know if I can find the source code for a VAX 11/780 Unibus Ethernet
                        adapter I wrote anymore. If I can, I could print it out too.

                        Also a more "vintage" Q-bus MicroVAX-II. You could bring your 4000/300 if
                        you wanted to tote such a big box. I have several MicroVAX-3100s and 4000s
                        that wouldn't need a fork lift! ;)
                      • Gilmore
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                          The card image is also on our web site:

                          http://mit-a.com/Images/Tab%20Card.jpg
                        • Nate Webb
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                            Hello Gilmore
                            wow. where do you get punch-cards these days, anyway? I have enough
                            trouble finding 5 1/4" disks.
                            On 07/22/10, Gilmore wrote:
                            > The card image is also on our web site:
                            >
                            > http://mit-a.com/Images/Tab%20Card.jpg

                            Nate , Mandi, and Sarahlyn
                            watertonian@...
                            http://watertonian.herobo.com
                            This E-Mail written using YAM on an Amiga 1200
                            (http://watertonian.herobo.com/1200brag/index.html)
                            "The day Microsoft makes a product that does not suck will be the day they
                            start making vacuum cleaners."
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 22, 2010
                              On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Nate Webb wrote:

                              > Hello Gilmore
                              > wow. where do you get punch-cards these days, anyway? I have enough
                              > trouble finding 5 1/4" disks.
                              > On 07/22/10, Gilmore wrote:
                              >> The card image is also on our web site:
                              >>
                              >> http://mit-a.com/Images/Tab%20Card.jpg

                              He got them from me, actually. A box or two shows up on Ebay from time
                              to time, although usually horrendously overpriced. I've had a couple of
                              donations from people on campus who have hoarded them for note cards, and
                              from MARCH members. And, you can still buy them new from Cardamation for
                              $50 per box of 2000:

                              http://cardamation.com/

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                                I have a complete IMSAI 8080 front panel, unused, with the optional
                                memory protect switch installed in place of the main power switch. Since
                                I already have a complete IMSAI, I might be interested in a trade for
                                other interesting hardware. Maybe a stripped down Altair 8800?
                                Peripherals for my HP 2109E? Take a look at my collection page for the
                                kinds of things I find interesting. I also have a pile of S100 boards,
                                some of which could be part of a deal.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...