re: [midatlanticretro] Re: HOPE -- we're all set

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 13 7:06 AM
      Hi gang,

      I've been absent for a few months. Is there a URL for HOPE?
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 13 7:10 AM
        Nevermind. I found the URL...

        ! Saturday July 17th Only !

        MARCH (Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists) will demonstrate several
        working examples of computers important to hacker culture, from an
        Altair 8800 to the ZX-80 from Clive Sinclair, and many in between. There
        will be at least one actual minicomputer and the worlds first smartphone
        will be on display.

        What minicomputer???
      • systems.glitch
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13 7:38 AM
          http://www.grex.org

          It's a free public-access UNIX system in Ann Arbor, MI. They still operate dialins down to at least 1200 baud (haven't tried 300, don't have a modem that goes that slow). Due to falling numbers of paid members, they're considering removing one or both of the dialins. They promote many of the values HOPE attendees share (open noncommercial Internet, no censorship in forums, et c.) and they provide terminal services that are useful to us old computer nuts.

          > Promoting membership of what?
          >
          > > I'll be there, but as stated, I've already purchased a pass. I'll be
          > bringing the SPARCstation and the Kaypro II, as well as a small 1-page
          > printed display promoting membership with the Grex system.
          > >
          > > If anyone has DB-25 or DB-9 to RJ-45 converters, could you bring them to
          > HOPE? Apparently mine didn't get set aside in our move from WV to NY.

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13 7:59 AM
            I see. Maybe we can try to connect with the UNIX PC I am bringing. I have
            one DB25 to DB9 cable, poss. one to the rj45 as well.
            bd

            > It's a free public-access UNIX system in Ann Arbor, MI. They still
            operate dialins down to at least 1200 baud (haven't tried 300, don't have a
            modem that goes that slow). Due to falling numbers of paid members, they're
            considering removing one or both of the dialins. They promote many of the
            values HOPE attendees share (open noncommercial Internet, no censorship in
            forums, et c.) and they provide terminal services that are useful to us old
            computer nuts.

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...>
            wrote:

            > > Promoting membership of what?
            > >
            > > > I'll be there, but as stated, I've already purchased a pass. I'll be

            > > bringing the SPARCstation and the Kaypro II, as well as a small 1-page

            > > printed display promoting membership with the Grex system.
            > > >
            > > > If anyone has DB-25 or DB-9 to RJ-45 converters, could you bring them
            > > HOPE? Apparently mine didn't get set aside in our move from WV to NY.

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13 9:09 AM
              systems.glitch wrote:
              > http://www.grex.org
              >
              > It's a free public-access UNIX system in Ann Arbor, MI. They still operate dialins down to at least 1200 baud (haven't tried 300, don't have a modem that goes that slow). Due to falling numbers of paid members, they're considering removing one or both of the dialins. They promote many of the values HOPE attendees share (open noncommercial Internet, no censorship in forums, et c.) and they provide terminal services that are useful to us old computer nuts.

              I used to have a membership on Grex. Had one on m-net too.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 13 11:57 AM
                http://thenexthope.org/