HOPE -- we're all set

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
      Our double-secret contact says:

      "we obviously have to make exceptions in certain cases ... I'll make sure your names are on the list at registration."

      So, those who bothered to reply to me/Bill are on the list:
      - Jeff J.
      - Mike R.
      - Frank O.

      I am baffled that so few people replied. In '06 and '08, HOPE was a popular event among our group.

      I * might * be able to get one or two more names on "the list" but as Bill noted there are no promises. If anyone else wants to go (which everyone should because this event is awesome), let me know TODAY or don't complain later. :)
    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
        > Our double-secret contact says:
        > "we obviously have to make exceptions in certain cases ... I'll make sure your names are on the list at registration."
        > So, those who bothered to reply to me/Bill are on the list:
        > - Jeff J.
        > - Mike R.
        > - Frank O.
        > I am baffled that so few people replied. In '06 and '08, HOPE was a popular event among our group.
        > I * might * be able to get one or two more names on "the list" but as Bill noted there are no promises. If anyone else wants to go (which everyone should because this event is awesome), let me know TODAY or don't complain later. :)

        Hello, sorry, struggling under weight of work and HOPE video network prep.

        I will be there, but probably heavily in chaos with the video network.

        I can bring a computer if it would be useful. And a 15" LCD TV.
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
          evan@... wrote:
          > Our double-secret contact says:
          >
          > "we obviously have to make exceptions in certain cases ... I'll make
          > sure your names are on the list at registration."
          >
          > So, those who bothered to reply to me/Bill are on the list: - Jeff
          > J. - Mike R. - Frank O.
          >
          > I am baffled that so few people replied. In '06 and '08, HOPE was a
          > popular event among our group.
          >
          > I * might * be able to get one or two more names on "the list" but as
          > Bill noted there are no promises. If anyone else wants to go (which
          > everyone should because this event is awesome), let me know TODAY or
          > don't complain later. :)

          I'll come.

          I'll figure out what to bring at some point.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010

            > I'll come.
            >
            > I'll figure out what to bring at some point.

            Awesome! Evan and I were wondering if you were coming.

            Anyone else?

            bd
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
              Sridhar is the last one. No more freebies. This is out of MARCH's hands.

              Anyone who did not respond in time, well, sorry. You all had plenty of chances.

              Of course, everyone is welcome to join us if you find your own way in.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
                > Sridhar is the last one. No more freebies. This is out of MARCH's hands.
                > Anyone who did not respond in time, well, sorry. You all had plenty of chances.
                > Of course, everyone is welcome to join us if you find your own way in.
                > popular event among our group. I * might * be able to get one or two
                > more names on "the list" but as Bill noted there are no promises. If
                > anyone else wants to go (which everyone should because this event is
                > awesome), let me know TODAY or don't complain later. :)

                I'm baffled that they give away free admission for a couple of crusty
                computers, given that over the years we spend thousands of dollars to
                provide them with cool video distribution.
              • systems.glitch
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
                  I'll be there, but as stated, I've already purchased a pass. I'll be bringing the SPARCstation and the Kaypro II, as well as a small 1-page printed display promoting membership with the Grex system.

                  If anyone has DB-25 or DB-9 to RJ-45 converters, could you bring them to HOPE? Apparently mine didn't get set aside in our move from WV to NY.

                  --Jonathan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
                    >> Sridhar is the last one. No more freebies. This is out of MARCH's hands. Anyone who did not respond in time, well, sorry. You all had plenty of chances. Of course, everyone is welcome to join us if you find your own way in. popular event among our group. I * might * be able to get one or two more names on "the list" but as Bill noted there are no promises. If anyone else wants to go (which everyone should because this event is awesome), let me know TODAY or don't complain later. :)
                    > I'm baffled that they give away free admission for a couple of crusty computers, given that over the years we spend thousands of dollars to provide them with cool video distribution.

                    It's not our place to question their policies. However I know for fact
                    that HOPE management is impressed with what we (MARCH) do, and they're
                    happy to have us be involved, just as we're happy to endorse and support
                    them.

                    To all: PLEASE DO NOT bring up the topic of admissions/freebies anywhere
                    near HOPE staff!!! I already regret that this topic entered our own list.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
                      > I can bring a computer if it would be useful. And a 15" LCD TV.

                      I plan to bring a traditional Atari with an RCA-to-coax adapter (better
                      image) ... could you (or someone?) bring a small cable-ready TV? I
                      prefer not to have to schlep one on the train.
                    • telmnstr@757.org
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12, 2010
                        > I plan to bring a traditional Atari with an RCA-to-coax adapter (better
                        > image) ... could you (or someone?) bring a small cable-ready TV? I
                        > prefer not to have to schlep one on the train.

                        Maybe. We're pretty much going only LCD. I think we're bringing a 30", a
                        15", then whatever monitors. The two encoding endpoints that my friend
                        just bought (IBM Thinkcenter things) that go on 18, then the 4 Acer Revo
                        systems we just bought as endpoints for video on 2, then probably at least
                        one video projector. And tons of cables. Oh, and a 2u xeon server and
                        perhaps some other sort of server.

                        The nice thing is every year the equipment to do this gets smaller
                        and smaller.

                        It will be interesting to see the turnout. I figure lots of people don't
                        have jobs (My employer hasn't been able to pay me in a month or two and I
                        have a number of friends out of work), but that didn't seem to have much
                        of an effect on shmoocon.

                        We've got a retro video gaming thing coming up in Chesapeake Virginia on
                        August 7th at the public library. This is the list so far for the local
                        event:
                        http://757labs.org/wiki/Projects/freeplay

                        Looks like I forgot the Osbourne Executive, and the IMSAI 8080 from it.
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                          Promoting membership of what?

                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                            Hi gang,

                            I've been absent for a few months. Is there a URL for HOPE?
                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                              Nevermind. I found the URL...

                              ! Saturday July 17th Only !

                              MARCH (Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists) will demonstrate several
                              working examples of computers important to hacker culture, from an
                              Altair 8800 to the ZX-80 from Clive Sinclair, and many in between. There
                              will be at least one actual minicomputer and the worlds first smartphone
                              will be on display.

                              What minicomputer???
                            • systems.glitch
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                                http://www.grex.org

                                It's a free public-access UNIX system in Ann Arbor, MI. They still operate dialins down to at least 1200 baud (haven't tried 300, don't have a modem that goes that slow). Due to falling numbers of paid members, they're considering removing one or both of the dialins. They promote many of the values HOPE attendees share (open noncommercial Internet, no censorship in forums, et c.) and they provide terminal services that are useful to us old computer nuts.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                                  I see. Maybe we can try to connect with the UNIX PC I am bringing. I have
                                  one DB25 to DB9 cable, poss. one to the rj45 as well.
                                  bd

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                                    systems.glitch wrote:
                                    > http://www.grex.org
                                    >
                                    > It's a free public-access UNIX system in Ann Arbor, MI. They still operate dialins down to at least 1200 baud (haven't tried 300, don't have a modem that goes that slow). Due to falling numbers of paid members, they're considering removing one or both of the dialins. They promote many of the values HOPE attendees share (open noncommercial Internet, no censorship in forums, et c.) and they provide terminal services that are useful to us old computer nuts.

                                    I used to have a membership on Grex. Had one on m-net too.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • Bill Degnan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                                      http://thenexthope.org/