RE: [midatlanticretro] Catweasel

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
      On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

      > I have had a diskette archival machine in various states of
      > assembly/disassembly for 3 years now. Want to trade ideas? I have a
      > couple of thoughts on 8" drives, and no ideas at all when it comes to
      > hard sectored devices.

      Sure. I haven't actually used the Catweasel yet, but I have some
      blue-sky ideas. My current archival machine has an Adaptec 1542CF, which
      can read FM disks. It's in a large tower, with lots of drive bays. I have
      a 4-way, 37-pole mechanical switch which I plan to install to select one
      of 4 drives: 8" DS, 5-1/4" 1.2MB, 5-1/4" 360KB and 3-1/2" 1.44MB. I
      should be able to connect the Catweasel in between the Adaptec and the
      drive switch. The 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" drives will be in the tower, while
      the 8" will be in an external case.

      I'll probably set up a multiboot with FreeDOS, Linux and Windows (XP?).
      IMD and cw2dmk for sure. I use DBit's FDADAP to connect my 8" drive.

      http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

      I have ONE hard-sectored 8" disk, but no ideas for it, either.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...