Re: [midatlanticretro] First Printing of Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
      Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
        It's got to be there someplace, or it has been ripped out.  I don't any Commodore manuals without the printing info
        bd

      • jaj@totallyamused.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
          I looked at my disk drive and modem manuals last night, none of them have edition or printing info other than the copyright date.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
          Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400
          To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
            Commodore 64 manuals.

            From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
            Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
              I got that, I was just sayin' that my (Commodore) 1541 and 1670 manuals lack Edition and Date, other than a copyright, and was sorta implying that maybe Commodore broke from the norm on their manuals.

              I have C64c and Vic-20 manuals, but couldn't locate them yesterday to check.

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
              Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:24:57 -0400
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

              Commodore 64 manuals.

              Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                my fault for implying.  Anyway, I did not find any first edition, first printing c-64 user's guides on the bookshelf so I can't say for sure, but maybe the first one has no printing or edition page?  it's possible

                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

              Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                Given how cheap Commodore was, who knows if there is such a thing, or if they went out with early shipments or later shipments.

                The bombjack site may have some iterations scanned and posted, probably the best place to check. I am going to dig through stuff later and see if the 64c versions I have are dated or numbered.

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

                Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

                Jeff Brace

              • jus10j
                Message 8 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                  The Commodore 64C manual I have states "First Printing, April 1996" on back of first page. So at some point they did date and indicate # of printing.

                  Message 9 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                    Sadly, though, Commodore never gets credit for inventing time travel.

                    Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                      I looked at other User Guides that I had. Two had First Edition, Eighth Printing (1984). Another had First Edition, Fifth Printing (1983). Also I should mention that the one from ebay (with no edition indication) has a Correction note on page i. It says:
                      [
                      Page 4.

                      3.Should Read :

                      Now plug the power supply into a suitable 110 VAC 50 or 60 HZ outlet.
                      ]

                      I look on page 4 and it says:

                      [
                      Now plug the power supply into a suitable 240 VAC 50 Hz outlet.
                      ]

                      I checked the bombjack site and couldn't find any user's guide, but I will try to contact the guide to see if he knows anything.

                      .

                    • jaj@totallyamused.com
                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                        1986 I meant to type, but seems time appropriate to a C64c.

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                        Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:27:00 -0400