Re: [midatlanticretro] HOPE Check
- On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:
> Thanks, Bill.I found this on one of the TRSDOS 1.3 disks from my Model III, from
> Everyone: behave for him, or I'll come back soon and kick your asses!
"Over 5,000 years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel "Pick up your
shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised
Nearly 5,000 years later, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on
your asses, and light up a Camel; this is the promised land".
Now Carter is stealing your shovels, kicking your asses, raising the price
of your Camels, and mortgaging the promised land."
Mike Loewen mloewen@...
Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
- Nice set of stuff. I suggest if bring one computer plus the related
ephemera that goes with it, a placard to title the exhibit, and a small
self-standing display. Because we're going to a hacker's convention, you
can be as techie as you want, and if you have a hacker theme for the
exhibit that'd be even better. For example
- set up a little pirate BBS that emulates what a real pirate BBS would
have been like.
- Another easy exhibit is a set of photos depicting how you repaired the
computer being exhibited.
- Let the computer be the mechanism for displaying exhibit materials - put
the exhibit information into the computer so you don't have to do anything
other than bring the computer system and a display. People sit down to
your computer and there's a menu with choices, etc.
It's best if the computer your exhibiting works.
I wrote a little stupid BBS program that works on a C64 if anyone wants to
display a C-64. You can edit the text to suit your interest.
-------- Original Message --------
> From: telmnstr@...don't
> Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 4:10 PM
> To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] HOPE Check
> > Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I
> > know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if youdon't
> > let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list"assuming
> > there is one for MARCH.will
> I'm going to HOPE. Don't know what would be useful.
> I have Timex Sinclair, Atari 400, 600xl, 800xl, 130xe, Atari ST 520 (no
> power supplies), Amiga 600, IMSAI 8080 (too big to bring), TRS-80 model
> 100, TRS-80 model 4, TI-99/4A (no psu yet), Odyssey2. NeXTStation, SGI
> Indigo, Sun Sparcstation Voyager, Macintosh SE.
> Have a BeBox 66 but missing front & IO card.
> My biggest machine is a Cray J932SE. It's not coming :-)
> I have two 15"ish LCD televisions.
> I already bought a ticket.
> > I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I
> > be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is aUNIX
> > PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off myback,
> > man. ok calm down Bill.
> > Bill
> Yahoo! Groups Links
- I'm coming, already have a ticket. Should get there early morning on Friday and leave late evening Sunday. I'll be bringing my SPARCclassic, but that will go in the NOCNOC cage. I'll also be bringing my Kaypro II. Bill mentioned he might take advantage of the second serial port on the SPARCclassic, as it will be running both ports for terminal service. It's set up with OpenBSD and will provide outgoing SSH, telnet, FTP, HTTP and IRC. I've also installed Kermit and X/Y/Zmodem transfers. If there are any recommendations for other software to include, let me know via e-mail. Anyone's free to use it, but if you want a personal account, send me an e-mail and I'll set one up for you.
If anyone has spare 72-pin 16 MB parity SIMMs, I could use a few (just for the weekend) in the SPARCclassic...I've got 16MB RAM in it at the moment, and that keeps it a bit sluggish.
Will the display area be available for the whole weekend, or just Saturday?
--- In email@example.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
> Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I don't
> know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if you don't
> let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list" assuming
> there is one for MARCH.
> I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I will
> be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is a UNIX
> PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off my back,
> man. ok calm down Bill.