Re: [midatlanticretro] HOPE Check

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 1:19 PM
      On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > Thanks, Bill.
      >
      > Everyone: behave for him, or I'll come back soon and kick your asses!

      I found this on one of the TRSDOS 1.3 disks from my Model III, from
      1982:

      "Over 5,000 years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel "Pick up your
      shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised
      land".

      Nearly 5,000 years later, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on
      your asses, and light up a Camel; this is the promised land".

      Now Carter is stealing your shovels, kicking your asses, raising the price
      of your Camels, and mortgaging the promised land."

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9 1:33 PM
        Nice set of stuff. I suggest if bring one computer plus the related
        ephemera that goes with it, a placard to title the exhibit, and a small
        self-standing display. Because we're going to a hacker's convention, you
        can be as techie as you want, and if you have a hacker theme for the
        exhibit that'd be even better. For example

        - set up a little pirate BBS that emulates what a real pirate BBS would
        have been like.

        - Another easy exhibit is a set of photos depicting how you repaired the
        computer being exhibited.

        - Let the computer be the mechanism for displaying exhibit materials - put
        the exhibit information into the computer so you don't have to do anything
        other than bring the computer system and a display. People sit down to
        your computer and there's a menu with choices, etc.

        It's best if the computer your exhibiting works.

        I wrote a little stupid BBS program that works on a C64 if anyone wants to
        display a C-64. You can edit the text to suit your interest.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9 3:47 PM
          I'm coming, already have a ticket. Should get there early morning on Friday and leave late evening Sunday. I'll be bringing my SPARCclassic, but that will go in the NOCNOC cage. I'll also be bringing my Kaypro II. Bill mentioned he might take advantage of the second serial port on the SPARCclassic, as it will be running both ports for terminal service. It's set up with OpenBSD and will provide outgoing SSH, telnet, FTP, HTTP and IRC. I've also installed Kermit and X/Y/Zmodem transfers. If there are any recommendations for other software to include, let me know via e-mail. Anyone's free to use it, but if you want a personal account, send me an e-mail and I'll set one up for you.

          If anyone has spare 72-pin 16 MB parity SIMMs, I could use a few (just for the weekend) in the SPARCclassic...I've got 16MB RAM in it at the moment, and that keeps it a bit sluggish.

          Will the display area be available for the whole weekend, or just Saturday?

          Jonathan