RE: [midatlanticretro] Catweasel

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
      I have had a diskette archival machine in various states of assembly/disassembly for 3 years now. Want to trade ideas? I have a couple of thoughts on 8" drives, and no ideas at all when it comes to hard sectored devices.

      At one time I even started to process the 1500 or so 8" disks I have. I just got bogged down. I had a database schema set up and everything. The database included a picture of the diskette/label and a serial number. I was going to use a combination of ImageDisk and cw2dmk to get to all the FM/MFM/mixed format disks.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
        > Ethan:
        > Hosfelt Electronics in Ohio sells the AC9500 power pack for the TI/994A
        > for $1.75 each. Their part number is 56-536.
        > http://www.hosfelt.com/
        > I bought 4 of them in September of 2008. If you buy 10, they're only
        > $1.49!

        Thanks! I ordered two. And a bunch of other stuff to meet the minimum $15.
        Can always use electrolytic caps for fixing arcade machines!

        - Ethan
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
          On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

          > I have had a diskette archival machine in various states of
          > assembly/disassembly for 3 years now. Want to trade ideas? I have a
          > couple of thoughts on 8" drives, and no ideas at all when it comes to
          > hard sectored devices.

          Sure. I haven't actually used the Catweasel yet, but I have some
          blue-sky ideas. My current archival machine has an Adaptec 1542CF, which
          can read FM disks. It's in a large tower, with lots of drive bays. I have
          a 4-way, 37-pole mechanical switch which I plan to install to select one
          of 4 drives: 8" DS, 5-1/4" 1.2MB, 5-1/4" 360KB and 3-1/2" 1.44MB. I
          should be able to connect the Catweasel in between the Adaptec and the
          drive switch. The 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" drives will be in the tower, while
          the 8" will be in an external case.

          I'll probably set up a multiboot with FreeDOS, Linux and Windows (XP?).
          IMD and cw2dmk for sure. I use DBit's FDADAP to connect my 8" drive.

          http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

          I have ONE hard-sectored 8" disk, but no ideas for it, either.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...