HOPE Check

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
      Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I don't
      know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if you don't
      let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list" assuming
      there is one for MARCH.

      I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I will
      be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is a UNIX
      PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off my back,
      man. ok calm down Bill.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
        > Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I don't know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if you don't let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list" assuming there is one for MARCH.
        >
        > I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I will be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is a UNIX PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off my back, man. ok calm down Bill.
        >
        > Bill

        Thanks, Bill.

        Everyone: behave for him, or I'll come back soon and kick your asses!

        (Update: our shiva ended yesterday; tonight I'm having a quiet dinner
        with my immediate family. Looking forward to getting back into things
        -- and some sense of normalcy -- at HOPE.)
      • telmnstr@757.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
          > Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I don't
          > know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if you don't
          > let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list" assuming
          > there is one for MARCH.

          I'm going to HOPE. Don't know what would be useful.

          I have Timex Sinclair, Atari 400, 600xl, 800xl, 130xe, Atari ST 520 (no
          power supplies), Amiga 600, IMSAI 8080 (too big to bring), TRS-80 model
          100, TRS-80 model 4, TI-99/4A (no psu yet), Odyssey2. NeXTStation, SGI
          Indigo, Sun Sparcstation Voyager, Macintosh SE.

          Have a BeBox 66 but missing front & IO card.

          My biggest machine is a Cray J932SE. It's not coming :-)

          I have two 15"ish LCD televisions.

          I already bought a ticket.

          > I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I will
          > be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is a UNIX
          > PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off my back,
          > man. ok calm down Bill.
          > Bill
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
            On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Thanks, Bill.
            >
            > Everyone: behave for him, or I'll come back soon and kick your asses!

            I found this on one of the TRSDOS 1.3 disks from my Model III, from
            1982:

            "Over 5,000 years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel "Pick up your
            shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised
            land".

            Nearly 5,000 years later, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on
            your asses, and light up a Camel; this is the promised land".

            Now Carter is stealing your shovels, kicking your asses, raising the price
            of your Camels, and mortgaging the promised land."

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
              Nice set of stuff. I suggest if bring one computer plus the related
              ephemera that goes with it, a placard to title the exhibit, and a small
              self-standing display. Because we're going to a hacker's convention, you
              can be as techie as you want, and if you have a hacker theme for the
              exhibit that'd be even better. For example

              - set up a little pirate BBS that emulates what a real pirate BBS would
              have been like.

              - Another easy exhibit is a set of photos depicting how you repaired the
              computer being exhibited.

              - Let the computer be the mechanism for displaying exhibit materials - put
              the exhibit information into the computer so you don't have to do anything
              other than bring the computer system and a display. People sit down to
              your computer and there's a menu with choices, etc.

              It's best if the computer your exhibiting works.

              I wrote a little stupid BBS program that works on a C64 if anyone wants to
              display a C-64. You can edit the text to suit your interest.

              Bill

              > > Please reply if you're going to HOPE and your bringing an exhibit. I
              don't
              > > know if everyone who brings an exhibit can get in free, but if you
              don't
              > > let me (filling in for Evan) know asap, you won't be on "the list"
              assuming
              > > there is one for MARCH.
              >
              > I'm going to HOPE. Don't know what would be useful.
              >
              > I have Timex Sinclair, Atari 400, 600xl, 800xl, 130xe, Atari ST 520 (no
              > power supplies), Amiga 600, IMSAI 8080 (too big to bring), TRS-80 model
              > 100, TRS-80 model 4, TI-99/4A (no psu yet), Odyssey2. NeXTStation, SGI
              > Indigo, Sun Sparcstation Voyager, Macintosh SE.
              >
              > Have a BeBox 66 but missing front & IO card.
              >
              > My biggest machine is a Cray J932SE. It's not coming :-)
              >
              > I have two 15"ish LCD televisions.
              >
              > I already bought a ticket.
              >
              > > I (Bill) will be there all day Sat, possibly Friday or Sat night. I
              will
              > > be bringing something to exhibit. At the moment my exhibit plan is a
              UNIX
              > > PC 7300 or 3B1. I may change my mind. Hey it's my right get off my
              back,
              > > man. ok calm down Bill.
              > > Bill

            • systems.glitch
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
                I'm coming, already have a ticket. Should get there early morning on Friday and leave late evening Sunday. I'll be bringing my SPARCclassic, but that will go in the NOCNOC cage. I'll also be bringing my Kaypro II. Bill mentioned he might take advantage of the second serial port on the SPARCclassic, as it will be running both ports for terminal service. It's set up with OpenBSD and will provide outgoing SSH, telnet, FTP, HTTP and IRC. I've also installed Kermit and X/Y/Zmodem transfers. If there are any recommendations for other software to include, let me know via e-mail. Anyone's free to use it, but if you want a personal account, send me an e-mail and I'll set one up for you.

                If anyone has spare 72-pin 16 MB parity SIMMs, I could use a few (just for the weekend) in the SPARCclassic...I've got 16MB RAM in it at the moment, and that keeps it a bit sluggish.

                Will the display area be available for the whole weekend, or just Saturday?

                Jonathan