Catweasel

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 12:17 PM
      I just received a used Catweasel Mk4-Plus from Ebay. Now would be a
      good time to finish up my diskette archival machine. :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9 1:05 PM
        I have had a diskette archival machine in various states of assembly/disassembly for 3 years now. Want to trade ideas? I have a couple of thoughts on 8" drives, and no ideas at all when it comes to hard sectored devices.

        At one time I even started to process the 1500 or so 8" disks I have. I just got bogged down. I had a database schema set up and everything. The database included a picture of the diskette/label and a serial number. I was going to use a combination of ImageDisk and cw2dmk to get to all the FM/MFM/mixed format disks.

        Kelly

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9 1:21 PM
          > Ethan:
          > Hosfelt Electronics in Ohio sells the AC9500 power pack for the TI/994A
          > for $1.75 each. Their part number is 56-536.
          > http://www.hosfelt.com/
          > I bought 4 of them in September of 2008. If you buy 10, they're only
          > $1.49!

          Thanks! I ordered two. And a bunch of other stuff to meet the minimum $15.
          Can always use electrolytic caps for fixing arcade machines!

          - Ethan
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9 7:01 PM
            On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

            > I have had a diskette archival machine in various states of
            > assembly/disassembly for 3 years now. Want to trade ideas? I have a
            > couple of thoughts on 8" drives, and no ideas at all when it comes to
            > hard sectored devices.

            Sure. I haven't actually used the Catweasel yet, but I have some
            blue-sky ideas. My current archival machine has an Adaptec 1542CF, which
            can read FM disks. It's in a large tower, with lots of drive bays. I have
            a 4-way, 37-pole mechanical switch which I plan to install to select one
            of 4 drives: 8" DS, 5-1/4" 1.2MB, 5-1/4" 360KB and 3-1/2" 1.44MB. I
            should be able to connect the Catweasel in between the Adaptec and the
            drive switch. The 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" drives will be in the tower, while
            the 8" will be in an external case.

            I'll probably set up a multiboot with FreeDOS, Linux and Windows (XP?).
            IMD and cw2dmk for sure. I use DBit's FDADAP to connect my 8" drive.

            http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

            I have ONE hard-sectored 8" disk, but no ideas for it, either.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...