RE: [midatlanticretro] First Printing of Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
      typo

      -------- Original Message --------
      Manual ?

      > I have to ask. Did it actually say First Addition, or was that a typo and
      it should say First Edition?

      printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

      > Jeff Brace
      >

      > Yes
      > on page ii (back of 1st page) it will say "First printing First
      Addition".
      > bd

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
        Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
          It's got to be there someplace, or it has been ripped out.  I don't any Commodore manuals without the printing info
          bd

        • jaj@totallyamused.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
            I looked at my disk drive and modem manuals last night, none of them have edition or printing info other than the copyright date.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
            Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400
            To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
              Commodore 64 manuals.

              From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
              Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                I got that, I was just sayin' that my (Commodore) 1541 and 1670 manuals lack Edition and Date, other than a copyright, and was sorta implying that maybe Commodore broke from the norm on their manuals.

                I have C64c and Vic-20 manuals, but couldn't locate them yesterday to check.

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:24:57 -0400
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                Commodore 64 manuals.

                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                  my fault for implying.  Anyway, I did not find any first edition, first printing c-64 user's guides on the bookshelf so I can't say for sure, but maybe the first one has no printing or edition page?  it's possible

                  Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                Message 8 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                  Given how cheap Commodore was, who knows if there is such a thing, or if they went out with early shipments or later shipments.

                  The bombjack site may have some iterations scanned and posted, probably the best place to check. I am going to dig through stuff later and see if the 64c versions I have are dated or numbered.

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                  Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                  Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

                  Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

                  Jeff Brace

                • jus10j
                  Message 9 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                    The Commodore 64C manual I have states "First Printing, April 1996" on back of first page. So at some point they did date and indicate # of printing.

                    Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                      Sadly, though, Commodore never gets credit for inventing time travel.

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                        I looked at other User Guides that I had. Two had First Edition, Eighth Printing (1984). Another had First Edition, Fifth Printing (1983). Also I should mention that the one from ebay (with no edition indication) has a Correction note on page i. It says:
                        [
                        Page 4.

                        3.Should Read :

                        Now plug the power supply into a suitable 110 VAC 50 or 60 HZ outlet.
                        ]

                        I look on page 4 and it says:

                        [
                        Now plug the power supply into a suitable 240 VAC 50 Hz outlet.
                        ]

                        I checked the bombjack site and couldn't find any user's guide, but I will try to contact the guide to see if he knows anything.

                        .

                      • jaj@totallyamused.com
                        Message 12 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                          1986 I meant to type, but seems time appropriate to a C64c.

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                          Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:27:00 -0400