RE: [midatlanticretro] First Printing of Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
      I have to ask. Did it actually say First Addition, or was that a typo and it should say First Edition?

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
        typo

        > I have to ask. Did it actually say First Addition, or was that a typo and
        it should say First Edition?

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2010
          Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
            It's got to be there someplace, or it has been ripped out.  I don't any Commodore manuals without the printing info
            bd

          • jaj@totallyamused.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
              I looked at my disk drive and modem manuals last night, none of them have edition or printing info other than the copyright date.

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
              Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                Commodore 64 manuals.

                From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                  I got that, I was just sayin' that my (Commodore) 1541 and 1670 manuals lack Edition and Date, other than a copyright, and was sorta implying that maybe Commodore broke from the norm on their manuals.

                  I have C64c and Vic-20 manuals, but couldn't locate them yesterday to check.

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:24:57 -0400
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Commodore 64 manuals.

                  Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                    my fault for implying.  Anyway, I did not find any first edition, first printing c-64 user's guides on the bookshelf so I can't say for sure, but maybe the first one has no printing or edition page?  it's possible

                    Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                  Message 9 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                    Given how cheap Commodore was, who knows if there is such a thing, or if they went out with early shipments or later shipments.

                    The bombjack site may have some iterations scanned and posted, probably the best place to check. I am going to dig through stuff later and see if the 64c versions I have are dated or numbered.

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                    Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                    Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

                    Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

                    Jeff Brace

                  • jus10j
                    Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                      The Commodore 64C manual I have states "First Printing, April 1996" on back of first page. So at some point they did date and indicate # of printing.

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                        Sadly, though, Commodore never gets credit for inventing time travel.

                        Message 12 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                          I looked at other User Guides that I had. Two had First Edition, Eighth Printing (1984). Another had First Edition, Fifth Printing (1983). Also I should mention that the one from ebay (with no edition indication) has a Correction note on page i. It says:
                          [
                          Page 4.

                          3.Should Read :

                          Now plug the power supply into a suitable 110 VAC 50 or 60 HZ outlet.
                          ]

                          I look on page 4 and it says:

                          [
                          Now plug the power supply into a suitable 240 VAC 50 Hz outlet.
                          ]

                          I checked the bombjack site and couldn't find any user's guide, but I will try to contact the guide to see if he knows anything.

                          .

                        • jaj@totallyamused.com
                          Message 13 of 15 , Jul 10, 2010
                            1986 I meant to type, but seems time appropriate to a C64c.

                            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                            From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                            Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:27:00 -0400