First Printing of Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8 11:18 PM
      Hello,

      Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

      Jeff Brace
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9 5:05 AM
        Jeffrey Brace wrote:
        Hello,

        Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

        Jeff Brace

        Yes
        on page ii (back of 1st page) it will say "First printing First Addition".
        bd
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9 6:22 AM
          I have to ask. Did it actually say First Addition, or was that a typo and it should say First Edition?

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9 8:47 AM
            typo

            > I have to ask. Did it actually say First Addition, or was that a typo and
            it should say First Edition?

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9 7:48 PM
              Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10 4:52 AM
                It's got to be there someplace, or it has been ripped out.  I don't any Commodore manuals without the printing info
                bd

              • jaj@totallyamused.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10 4:55 AM
                  I looked at my disk drive and modem manuals last night, none of them have edition or printing info other than the copyright date.

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 10 5:24 AM
                    Commodore 64 manuals.

                    From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                    Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 10 5:34 AM
                      I got that, I was just sayin' that my (Commodore) 1541 and 1670 manuals lack Edition and Date, other than a copyright, and was sorta implying that maybe Commodore broke from the norm on their manuals.

                      I have C64c and Vic-20 manuals, but couldn't locate them yesterday to check.

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:24:57 -0400
                      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                      Commodore 64 manuals.

                      Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10 7:03 AM
                        my fault for implying.  Anyway, I did not find any first edition, first printing c-64 user's guides on the bookshelf so I can't say for sure, but maybe the first one has no printing or edition page?  it's possible

                        Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10 7:51 AM
                        Given how cheap Commodore was, who knows if there is such a thing, or if they went out with early shipments or later shipments.

                        The bombjack site may have some iterations scanned and posted, probably the best place to check. I am going to dig through stuff later and see if the 64c versions I have are dated or numbered.

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400

                        Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                        Well I have a copy that only says copyright 1982, and doesn't say anything about first printing, second etc. neither does it say first edition etc.

                        Does anyone know how I could identify if a user manual is a first printing for the Commodore 64 User's Manual ?

                        Jeff Brace

                      • jus10j
                        Message 12 of 15 , Jul 10 1:18 PM
                          The Commodore 64C manual I have states "First Printing, April 1996" on back of first page. So at some point they did date and indicate # of printing.

                          Message 13 of 15 , Jul 10 1:27 PM
                            Sadly, though, Commodore never gets credit for inventing time travel.

                            Message 14 of 15 , Jul 10 2:48 PM
                              I looked at other User Guides that I had. Two had First Edition, Eighth Printing (1984). Another had First Edition, Fifth Printing (1983). Also I should mention that the one from ebay (with no edition indication) has a Correction note on page i. It says:
                              [
                              Page 4.

                              3.Should Read :

                              Now plug the power supply into a suitable 110 VAC 50 or 60 HZ outlet.
                              ]

                              I look on page 4 and it says:

                              [
                              Now plug the power supply into a suitable 240 VAC 50 Hz outlet.
                              ]

                              I checked the bombjack site and couldn't find any user's guide, but I will try to contact the guide to see if he knows anything.

                              .

                            • jaj@totallyamused.com
                              Message 15 of 15 , Jul 10 2:50 PM
                                1986 I meant to type, but seems time appropriate to a C64c.

                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:27:00 -0400