Re: Semi-OT: I'm away for a while

  • us21090
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
      Terribly sad news. What a great thing you've done as a son - what a way to touch her heart and memories.

      > Guys,
      >
      > I'll be away from MARCH for the next week or so. My mother lost her fight against cancer early this morning. She was only 63.
      >
      > Her funeral will probably be on Wednesday (because of the holiday weekend, etc.)... details to be determined; probably in the morning or afternoon that day at Goldstein Memorial Chapel in Edison, NJ. Our family will sit in traditional Jewish shiva, probably Wednesday night, and also starting at noon Thursday and through the evening, at my father's condo - 209 Westgate Dr., Edison, NJ, 08820.
      >
      > Our family requests that in lieu of flowers, etc., any memorials be made in the name of Barbara Koblentz to www.cycleforsurvival.org, which benefits research for rare cancers at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
      >
      > MARCH-wise, any HOPE questions, etc. can go through Bill D. #1. I plan to attend as normal, but I can't be involved in the planning this week.
      >
      > On-topic story that I'd like to share: when I was young, in the late 70s and early 80s, one of our family activities was playing Atari 2600 games. My mom was pretty good at Breakout. When she became ill several months ago from intense chemotherapy and side effects of surgery, I bought her a netbook to use from her bed. I explained that I could install games, etc. -- she requested Breakout! So instead I bought her one of those paddle games that attach to the TV. It brought her some happiness for a while and it brought her and I both some happy memories during a very sad period.

    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2010
        There is never a good thing to say at a time like this.
        So you have my sympathy.
        Regrettably, you will have to take care of the arising issues with some
        quickness as the state does not seem to take mourning time into account.
        That was my downfall.  I procastinated and then suffered much later
        stress because of that.
        bs