re: [midatlanticretro] Re: HOPE again

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6 6:14 AM

      > I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The
      Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC
      cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card
      for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the
      NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring
      my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes,
      but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server.
      LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the
      Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm
      usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when
      there's less traffic.

      I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
      I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
      this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
      but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
      Bill
    • systems.glitch
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6 2:26 PM
        > I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
        > I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
        > this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
        > but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
        > Bill

        Sounds good to me! I've got an AT&T Unix PC that's in need of a new hard drive, it'll be cool to see one up and running.

        I'll go ahead and look into building the breakout cable for the SPARCclassic's serial port, just in case anyone wants to use it.