Re: [midatlanticretro] Semi-OT: I'm away for a while

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
      Evan,

      I'm very sorry to hear about this.
      My sincere condolences to you and your family.

      =Dan

      evan@... wrote:
      Guys,

      I'll be away from MARCH for the next week or so. My mother lost her fight against cancer early this morning. She was only 63.

      Her funeral will probably be on Wednesday (because of the holiday weekend, etc.)... details to be determined; probably in the morning or afternoon that day at Goldstein Memorial Chapel in Edison, NJ. Our family will sit in traditional Jewish shiva, probably Wednesday night, and also starting at noon Thursday and through the evening, at my father's condo - 209 Westgate Dr., Edison, NJ, 08820.

      Our family requests that in lieu of flowers, etc., any memorials be made in the name of Barbara Koblentz to www.cycleforsurvival.org, which benefits research for rare cancers at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

      MARCH-wise, any HOPE questions, etc. can go through Bill D. #1. I plan to attend as normal, but I can't be involved in the planning this week.

      On-topic story that I'd like to share: when I was young, in the late 70s and early 80s, one of our family activities was playing Atari 2600 games. My mom was pretty good at Breakout. When she became ill several months ago from intense chemotherapy and side effects of surgery, I bought her a netbook to use from her bed. I explained that I could install games, etc. -- she requested Breakout! So instead I bought her one of those paddle games that attach to the TV. It brought her some happiness for a while and it brought her and I both some happy memories during a very sad period.

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
        So sorry to hear that Evan. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
          Evan,

          What can anyone say, except that I have been where you are now.

          Jim

          evan@... wrote:

          > Guys,
          >
          > I'll be away from MARCH for the next week or so. My mother lost her
          > fight against cancer early this morning. She was only 63.
          >
          > Her funeral will probably be on Wednesday (because of the holiday
          > weekend, etc.)... details to be determined; probably in the morning or
          > afternoon that day at Goldstein Memorial Chapel in Edison, NJ. Our
          > family will sit in traditional Jewish shiva, probably Wednesday night,
          > and also starting at noon Thursday and through the evening, at my
          > father's condo - 209 Westgate Dr., Edison, NJ, 08820.
          >
          > Our family requests that in lieu of flowers, etc., any memorials be made
          > in the name of Barbara Koblentz to www.cycleforsurvival.org, which
          > benefits research for rare cancers at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer
          > Center.
          >
          > MARCH-wise, any HOPE questions, etc. can go through Bill D. #1. I plan
          > to attend as normal, but I can't be involved in the planning this week.
          >
          > On-topic story that I'd like to share: when I was young, in the late 70s
          > and early 80s, one of our family activities was playing Atari 2600
          > games. My mom was pretty good at Breakout. When she became ill several
          > months ago from intense chemotherapy and side effects of surgery, I
          > bought her a netbook to use from her bed. I explained that I could
          > install games, etc. -- she requested Breakout! So instead I bought her
          > one of those paddle games that attach to the TV. It brought her some
          > happiness for a while and it brought her and I both some happy memories
          > during a very sad period.

        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
            Sorry for your loss Evan. I give my condolences.

            --
            See you space cowboy...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2010
              Everyone: thank you all so much for the emails about my mom. I
              apologize for not responding to each of you individually.

              Details: funeral is tomorrow at 10:30, Goldstein Memorial Chapel, 2015
              Woodbridge Ave., Edison. Burial is 1:00, William Doyle Veterans Memorial
              Cemetery, 350 Provinceline Road, Wrightstown. Shiva is observed at 209
              Westgate Drive, Edison, on Wednesday starting at 4:00 and Thursday
              starting at noon. In lieu of flowers, our family requests donations to
              www.cycleforsurvival.org.
            • us21090
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2010
                Terribly sad news. What a great thing you've done as a son - what a way to touch her heart and memories.

                > Guys,
                >
                > I'll be away from MARCH for the next week or so. My mother lost her fight against cancer early this morning. She was only 63.
                >
                > Her funeral will probably be on Wednesday (because of the holiday weekend, etc.)... details to be determined; probably in the morning or afternoon that day at Goldstein Memorial Chapel in Edison, NJ. Our family will sit in traditional Jewish shiva, probably Wednesday night, and also starting at noon Thursday and through the evening, at my father's condo - 209 Westgate Dr., Edison, NJ, 08820.
                >
                > Our family requests that in lieu of flowers, etc., any memorials be made in the name of Barbara Koblentz to www.cycleforsurvival.org, which benefits research for rare cancers at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
                >
                > MARCH-wise, any HOPE questions, etc. can go through Bill D. #1. I plan to attend as normal, but I can't be involved in the planning this week.
                >
                > On-topic story that I'd like to share: when I was young, in the late 70s and early 80s, one of our family activities was playing Atari 2600 games. My mom was pretty good at Breakout. When she became ill several months ago from intense chemotherapy and side effects of surgery, I bought her a netbook to use from her bed. I explained that I could install games, etc. -- she requested Breakout! So instead I bought her one of those paddle games that attach to the TV. It brought her some happiness for a while and it brought her and I both some happy memories during a very sad period.

              • Bob Schwier
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2010
                  There is never a good thing to say at a time like this.
                  So you have my sympathy.
                  Regrettably, you will have to take care of the arising issues with some
                  quickness as the state does not seem to take mourning time into account.
                  That was my downfall.  I procastinated and then suffered much later
                  stress because of that.
                  bs