Re: [midatlanticretro] HOPE again

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
      > I worked on the 11/05's not the 11/20.

      Typo on my side, sorry.
    • systems.glitch
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes, but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server. LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when there's less traffic.

        The SPARCclassic does have two built-in serial ports, but using the second port requires a splitter cable, which I don't have. If there's interest, I could build the splitter cable so that two vintage computers can log in (wiring diagrams for the cables are readily available online). I plan on providing telnet, SSH, ftp, text-only browsing, and gopher client services...any thoughts/recommendations on other things to include?

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "systems.glitch" <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

        > Actual name is Jonathan Chapman...but known as systems_glitch or just glitch through most forums. I found out about MARCH actually through the Vintage Computer Forums (user glitch there), but only recently joined as I've just moved to Troy, NY and am interested in bringing hardware to HOPE (saw you guys there last year).
        >
        > I got in to vintage computers out of necessity, as I was given an IBM PC/XT in elementary school. My family had a Packard Bell running a Pentium Classic @ 133 MHz, but the XT was *mine,* not to be disturbed by my brother, et c., so it got a lot of use. Many school papers were written using the Leading Edge Word Processor! I learned to program in BASIC between the XT and my grandmother's Leading Edge Model D. I'm also into electronics, so vintage computers provide a much more open platform to interface with. Currently I'm most interested in old IBM hardware, CP/M machines, and early Apple/Mac hardware. I'm going in to the second phase of prototyping on a single-board 8085 based system for project control that needs a lot of I/O (going from point-to-point board to an etched PCB).
        >
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@> wrote:

        > > > Welcome, newb! Please introduce yourself + how you got into vintage computers + what's your name, or is it just Mr. Glitch? :)
        > >
        > > Oh great, another system glitch... :-)
        > >

        > > Mike Loewen mloewen@
        > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010

          > I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The
          Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC
          cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card
          for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the
          NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring
          my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes,
          but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server.
          LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the
          Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm
          usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when
          there's less traffic.

          I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
          I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
          this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
          but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
          Bill
        • systems.glitch
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            > I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
            > I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
            > this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
            > but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
            > Bill

            Sounds good to me! I've got an AT&T Unix PC that's in need of a new hard drive, it'll be cool to see one up and running.

            I'll go ahead and look into building the breakout cable for the SPARCclassic's serial port, just in case anyone wants to use it.